chapter 3

BismillahirRahmaneerRaheem.

Abuja, Nigeria.
Her eyelids slowly came apart. this time around it didn't hurt as much as it did the other time, maybe because this was a normal sleep.

She needed to know what time it was, sadly there wasn't a wall clock or anything of the sort that could help her. Her phone was probably still in the bag she came back from school with.
School, ugh!  She groaned, this is a major setback for her, God knows how much she would have to cover, law isn't child's play, and coupled with the fact that she doesn't even want it, from infancy she had always admired the Nigerian police Uniform, she would always scream police when one would ask what she wanted to be, and after the incident 5 years ago, she even wanted it the more. Same, her father wouldn't want his spotless reputation to be tainted when his Arewa daughter decides to choose a profession as that of a police officer. So she had to settle for the closest to it. Which just happened to be law.
Who even brought me to the hospital?
She thought.
She stood up and looked around, it was at that moment when she sighted her mother, sitting on the only available plastic chair, sleeping with her head in an awkward position. She walked over and decided to wake her up and give her the bed instead, body pain isn't something she would want to wish on anyone.

Immediately after placing her hand on her shoulder, she woke up. Red rimmed, tired looking eyes stared back at her. A proof of the fact that she had been crying, she took a glance at her, noticing how haggard and exhausted she looked, which is a complete contrast to how perfect, flawless and faultless she normally looked, despite being in her late 40s, with 5 kids, all of ripe age, she still has the fresh evidence of youth etched on her beautiful shuwa features.

"Mama, Mamana yazaki mini haka, why do you always do this to me, do you want to kill me? I understand you're going through a lot, but doing this to yourself won't help you! Do you know how scared I was, when I saw you on the floor__with a blade very close to you, and you unconscious! I thought we were past that! Why do you keep living  in the past, allow yourself to move on, give yourself closure from that particular moment of your life, stop dwelling In the past, it's gone! The present is here, you have that, make the best out of it!" She finished with tears sliding down her cheeks.

Nadra stared at her in disbelief. "Do you have any idea what I'm going through?" She asked, her voice surprisingly calm for someone that just escaped the clutches of death. "You say you understand, you say you do, where were you six years ago when I needed you? Where did you keep your understanding then? When I needed a shoulder to cry on, and then when things got to their climax, five years ago, you didn't give me a listening ear, you didn't try to understand what I was saying, that there was a problem with me, and now you say you understand?"

"Nadra, I know I was a bad mother to you few years ago, I know I did bad by you, but wallahil Azeem I had your best interest at heart."

"My best interest you say, my best interest?! I don't see the supposed best interest helping here, I don't see the happy, bubbly Nadra anywhere, your so called best interest killed her! it killed me and turned me into this, this depressed, shell of a person that has to put on a show for the entire world due to the position her father holds, due to the things the world demands of her, you did that, by supporting Father! But I do not need an explanation, because in the last five years, you have tried to justify your actions more than once, and it has never worked, you did what you had to do, you did what a wife had to do, and you're happy in your marriage, way to go, you destroyed the life of your teenage daughter! The life of a girl so innocent that she had no idea what happens outside the confines of her room, but it's absolutely fine, you've taught me a lesson so great, that in life no one can be trusted, not even your own family."

Hitherto, Kubra knew that she had made a grave mistake in supporting her husband few years ago, in the decision that single handedly ruined their daughter's life.

Heyyyyyy! Please vote and comment.