chapter 22

BismillahirRahmaneerRaheem.

Abuja, Nigeria.
Getting back into the cafe, Nadra's brows automatically raised on their own accord. From the distance she quietly observed Taheera's palm that was resting on Abdulkareem's arm. Even a dumb person could sense the change in the air.

She hastened her steps and made her way to the table they were at.

"Tee, we have to go." She said, not a hint of playfulness in her tone. Taheera looked up at her, clearly confused by her change of tone. It's probably that phone call. Taheera thought, if only she knew.

"What are you waiting for, let's goo!" Nadra said, trying to pry her hand off Abdulkareem, in the process her hand made contact with his arm. The hairs on her body stood at attention, her entire body tautening like an arrow about to be sent flying to an unsuspecting victim.

The sudden wave of dizziness was next, she felt herself falling and quickly grasped the chair for support, Taheera who didn't realize what was happening at first stood up as it clicked, Panic attack! She made her sit on the chair and hugged her to her form, she couldn't stop the tears from falling. When was the last time this happened to N in public, 300 level!

"Abdulkareem please pass the water, hurry." Instead of him doing as she asked, he tried forcing the water in Nadra's throat instead. That just seemed to make her situation worse, she started trembling, her breath seizing.

"N you'll be fine, please stay with me!" Taheera said in desperation. She quickly snatched the water from his hold and gave it to Nadra, she wasn't sure if the was going to help but she had her fingers crossed.

What could she even do, all she had left to try now is the breathing exercises.

"N, please do as I say, take it easy, breathe in." Nadra tried but she was choking on the very strong cologne coming off the person by her right. Taheera signalled for him to leave that place.

"Breathe in, then out." When she noticed it was working she rubbed soothing circles on her back, giving her pats of encouragement. "Yes, that's it, go on N."

Nadra took breaths after breaths, and when she finally felt better than earlier, she felt she couldn't waste even a minute in that place. Despite the obvious disapproval of her muscles, she stood up, motioned for Taheera to come along and left to her car.

Taheera and Abdulkareem came outside, he opened the other for her and she sat down majestically, he picked up the Hem of her dress that was sticking out of the car and held the door, he stared at her, whispered words to him self and then closed the door.

She waved at him excitedly and he waved back. He left to his own car too.

Taheera's attention was finally on Nadra. "Are you sure you can drive? Allow me." She said softly.

"No, it's okay, I'm fine, I've been in worse situations. What is making me question this particular situation is how it happened, it was as if I was trapped in there again, like what happened years ago was replaying itself, I don't get panic attacks from contact with the other gender anymore, so why did this happen?" Nadra asked confusedly.

"Don't overthink it N, it'll be okay, it's possible that all the stress you've been going through is taking a toll on you."

"Well, what can I say." Nadra murmured.

"My place or yours?" Taheera asked, Nadra looked as though she had a hard time choosing. "There'll be fankasau today." She added grinning.

"Definitely yours!" Nadra said giving her a knowing look. She was a sucker for Ummi's Fankasau. And she believed it cannot be resisted by any, the floury goodness, coupled with the spicy pepper soup just hits the right buttons.

Arriving at Taheera's place, she sank on the closest sofa. She was beyond exhausted at this point.

"Tee, please water. Cold water."

"Have you forgotten Ummi doesn't allow cold water?" She said.

"Okay at least Lacasera."

"Let me check my fridge, I'm sure I can sneak one from there."

Taheera left to the room. Just as Ummi can in.

"Wayenakeji haka kamar muryan Nadra?" She said from the distance.

"Yes Ummi it's me." Nadra said meekly.  She was ready for what was to come after.

"You just cut me off from your life, we're not worth your time right?" She said adjusting the kajiji in the smoky fire in her hand.

Nadra stared at the woman who was her second mother, her second confidant with awe. Her lifestyle amazed Nadra, stuck between classy and cultured, that modern mother aura emanated from her in waves.

"No wallahi Ummi it's not like that, you know how final year gets, one barely has time for themselves." Ummi looked up at her with pity.

"Yes, I understand that, in Sha Allah you'll ace it my dear, Allah ubangiji ya Baku saa bakidaya. And I'm glad you're here, I made fankasau today, and it was supposed to be with miyan Allayaho Amman since you're here there will definitely be change of plans."

Just before Nadra could reply, Taheera came in with the much needed Lacasera in hand.

Ummi looked up at her. "What have you been doing? Jekiyi wanka kina tsami." Ummi said and scrunched up her nose

"Ummi!" Taheera lightly stomped her foot. She threw the Lacasera at Nadra and left, possibly to her room.

Ummi laughed at her antics. Slightly shaking her head.

"I should go check up on her." Nadra said, Nadra said nodding towards the direction she left to.

"Yes, you should." Ummi laughed agreeing.

Guysssssssss!!!!!!!! So I think this is where it starts, the climax I mean. So what do y'all think is going on between Abdul and tee, they're acting sus don't you think? And was Taheera able to figure out what was wrong with him? Nadra fah? Why the Panic attack. Well all this events happened in a week or two in the book. 

Anyway, enough on the book. Let me inquire on you guy's well being! How are you??? I hope you're fine, and school isn't torturing the life outta you. May Allah ease all our affairs.