chapter 13

BismillahirRahmaneerRaheem.

Abuja, Nigeria.

After seeing Aasim's gift, she remembered that her Father actually gave her a gift after coming back from his trip. Which she hasn't even opened. She has no idea where she kept it truth be told, but looking for it won't kill her.

Despite her exhaustion, she stood up to check for the gift her father gave to her. The adrenaline she got from seeing Aasim's gift came in handy.

She finally got to her room. She walked to the first place she thought it'll be, the walk-in closet. She sauntered in and looked around. Careful not to scatter her well arranged clothes, She scoured the entire closet but to no avail.

She walked out of the closet having no clue on where she could have kept it. I think I should just let it be, after all, it's not like I would even use it for anything at this moment. But noooo! I'm so curious, and yes, curiosity kills the cat.

She checked her vanity and still, zero luck. Now to check the last place in mind, the box.

She halted in her steps, that place is a place she wouldn't want to go to at any moment, for anything, except when she's having an emotional breakdown, which she isn't right now.

It's where she keeps all her precious possessions. And not precious being expensive, no, precious being the closest to her heart. The 5 naira she kept from when she was a kid was still right there, she remembered how excited she was to have gotten the money which was almost extinct. She had hoped to show her kids, to tell them that this is something from her time, and laugh in their faces about them not being able to spend it. But at this moment, that dream just seems too far fetched.

She took out the little box and opened it gently, her eyes scanned over it's contents, bringing back so many memories. Goodness, today had been a rollercoaster of emotions

She couldn't even remember what color the wrap of her gift was, but she was sure if she sees it, she would recognize it, After all Luqman Hakimi always goes all out at his stuff. Aha there it is!

She took it out, gently covered the box, and took it back to it's spot.

The patience in her had already grown thin, so she didn't try to neatly open it like she did to the one from earlier. She tugged and tore at the edges until it finally gave out. Then she opened it and.
A very very very pink silk dress stared at her. Inalillahi wainna ilaihir rajiun!!  What am I to do with this atrocity?  It seemed as if that was the most lightest and "shouty" shade of pink she has ever come across.  Then she saw a box, which contained earrings, very heavy looking earrings. She quickly dashed to Hajiya Kubra's room.

"Assalamualaikum, Mamana, where are you?" She questioned as the room greeted her with silence.

"She's at the kitchen, making tuwo!" Shukee screamed from downstairs, you could clearly hear the distaste in her voice when she said the tuwo.

How did this girl even hear me! Yar iyayi Wai ita batason tuwo.

She started another long walk to the kitchen. When she arrived, she called out to Hajiya Kubra.

"Mamana Please a minute." Hajiya Kubra laughed, that statement brought back memories.

"Alright I'm on my way. Rita don't let the meat burn please, I'll be back very soon."

"Yes Hajiya."

Finally out of earshot, Nadra decided to ask. "Mamana, is this gold? It sure looks like it."

After taking a long look at it, Hajiya Kubra nodded. How could earrings this heavy looking be gold. Babana really likes spending a lot. But he actually deals in gold sooo.

"Well you're lucky, Ameema got the set though."

"Well thanks Mamana, I'll be gone now, and yes I have eaten." She said knowing fully well she was about to ask.

Instead of going to her room, she went back to Adda Ameema's. She left Aasim's gifts lying on the bed. She went in and saw that Shukee had taken the brown chocolates already, every single one. But the dark and white chocolates were still sprawled out on the bed.  Dark chocolate is something she doesn't even associates her self with, the bitter after taste that comes with it is just something else. The only chocolate she can tolerate is white chocolate. It's a wonder how she loves brownie so much despite hating brown and dark chocolates.

Oh well, Adda Ameema would be happy to get them. Even Hajiya Kubra would but she would start asking questions, because she knows Nadra won't use her money to purchase it and then leave it to turn into the mush it is now.  She decided she would give Adda Ameema the dark chocolates, freeze the white chocolates and take them at her own pace. And then keep the presents from both men.

Despite the financial gap between her Father's presence and Aasim's, her Father's own just seems so pale in comparison to his.

That thought alone lulled her to the sleep she has been so desperate for.

Heyyyyyy! Juma'at Mubarak! Ily so so much! Chapter dedicated to @NathanUseni , thanks for reading and voting!