chapter 27

BismillahirRahmaneerRaheem.

Abuja, Nigeria.
There was music, and it was playing in her head, she could feel the drums playing and the trumpet so loud. The activities of the day was making her head ache her so bad to the extent that she could feel it pounding!

"Nadra zonan. Kinci abinci kuwa?" Hajiya Kubra said sizing her up.

"Uhm, naci."

"When?"

"Yesterday afternoon." She said looking down sheepishly.

"Nadra how could you! You're so so careless about your health, you're trying to tell me you haven't eaten in the last 24 hours?!"

"22 actually since I ate by 2 yesterday." She said.

"You're impossible. Have you seen your skin, it's not the usual shiny fair, you just look extremely pale and deathly Ill, at this point you won't even know if something is killing you from the inside." Nadra looked down, she knows how right Hajiya Kubra is but God knows she's trying, she's trying so bad to make her life better and it's so hard.

"Come with me." She grabbed her hand. After a series of corners, they appeared in Hajiya Kubra's room.  She opened the first cooler to her left, which contained awara. Nadra's mouth watered.  She took out a plate and stacked it up so high, Nadra was wondering if it was meant for 10 people.

"Sit." She tapped the bed.  Nadra did as she was told, fully expecting her to give the awara to her, she was greatly disappointed when rice was thrown in her direction.

"Eat this, then we'll go for the awara." Hmm, so the awara was bait, nice one Mamana.

She begrudgingly brought the spoon to her mouth. This was amazing. She couldn't remember when last she had food for it's taste.

After finally eating up the rice, she felt like she was bloated. There was no space for the awara to get in to her stomach. 

Testing the waters, she laid her head on Hajiya Kubra's lap, she tensed immediately. Nadra decided it was a lost cause and started getting up, when Hajiya Placed her head back on her laps.

"This is it, just like old times." Hajiya Kubra said.

"Mamana, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead dear."

"Why did you do that? Why did you let him do that to me? You could have stopped him in more ways than one, but you went ahead with his plans." Nadra said her voice giving way to how broken she actually felt.

"Trust me Nadra I tried so much, I did a lot but it wasn't changing anything, I've lived with guilt for years, of not doing enough for you. But I really tried my best at that point." She had imagined this scenario in her head, how she would confront hajiya Kubra with this, because if she needed closure in her life she needed to have this talk.

But she had never imagined it to be this way, never. She always thought she'll cry, she'll scream, she'll let out her emotions. But this is how it's happening, something she has been dreading for almost five years has happened so easily.  And with Hajiya Kubra's hands loosening the knots in her hair, she fell into a deep peaceful sleep, one devoid of dreams of Dark places and bloody bodies.

******************************
Waking up, she stretched her sore limbs. After standing up to her full height, she saw that Hajiya Kubra was asleep in the same position she left her.  That's definitely going to cause pain.

She woke her up and was about to walk out when Hajiya Called out to her. "You are without a cap." She said. How did that happen.

"Your hair was crazily tangled, and stinking, when last did you wash your hair?"