Chuunin Exams: If We Must Fight, Let Us Be Prepared

"Hito," a voice called.

Hideki, on his way to the training grounds where his team awaited, paused. He turned, and his coal black eyes meet brown ones.

He blinked, then smiled. "Rei-chan."

A woman with the standard jounin attire - apart from the sleeves of the dark blue shirt that slung off her shoulders - and a forehead protector across her forehead stepped in front of Hideki. She had long pale blonde hair (so pale it was almost white) that hung around her shoulders, slight bangs framing her face, and brown eyes were fixed in a sharp glare.

Kasumi Rei looked at Hideki, clearing her throat. "Which one do you want me to train?"

In preparations of the upcoming chuunin third matches (which all the little genins in his team will take part in, he was proud to say), he asked his old teammate to train one of the genins.

"Mika," he said. "She's a water user, like you -"

"I've seen her," she interrupted. "I was there at the preliminaries."

"So you've seen all three of them?"

"Not clearly."

"Mika's talented in ninjutsu," Hideki continued. "She already has a foundation in her nature releases - it's just a matter of mastering it."

"Your definition of talented irks me. She can perform a few water based jutsus; that doesn't mean she's talented. If it weren't for the fact for Hosu-san's kekkei genkai..." Rei trailed off, a faraway look in her eyes. "... she might not have passed the preliminaries."

"That's why I'm requesting for you to train her, Rei-chan."

Rei seemed unconvinced.

"Yumi-san - Mika's mother - was your jounin trainer, wasn't she? You see a bit of her in Mika, don't you? Mika's nature release can be as great as Yumi-san's, but she needs help. Help from you."

"Fine, Hito."

He questioned about the formality.

She swallowed. "Kitsune-san wanted either his son or daughter to succeed him when he passed on."

"They're both too young to be head."

"But why is your father looking after them?!"

When Hideki remained silent, she continued. "He says it for their own good and for your good to look after the seat of the head when the twins are in his care, but what do you know?! What if he had ill intentions towards the twins? I'm begging you, transfer the custody of the twins to you; let them be allowed back into their rightful house, please Hideki-kun..."