The Ending: Mending All That Broke

"So," Sasuke said to me one fine afternoon. "Aren't you independent now?"

I frowned at him questioningly. It was an off-day for me, and none of my friends were free, so I was by myself at the cliff I usually ran off to ever since I was a kid. Shortly afterwards, Sasuke joined me, and the two of us were busying about our respective trainings before we took a break together.

And now, while sitting at the edge of the cliff side by side overlooking Konoha together, I resisted the urge to shove him off. "You looking for a fight, Uchiha?"

He rolled his eyes. A moment of silence passed before he spoke again.

"I heard that you haven't been speaking to your Uncle for a long time."

"No!" I said indignantly. "It's hasn't! It's only been... it's... it's not even two months!"

He didn't say anything.

Feeling the silence to be oppressing, I started rambling. "You know the whole guards issue right? Wait of course you do; you're an ANBU and you guys are usually the guards. Yeah so Uncle was super overprotective, and insisted on me having a guard tail me all the time since that one assassin crashed our dinner – "

"You could have died if it weren't for me saving your ass that time."

"Why do you and Uncle always say the same thing?! Anyway, so one time after the incident when I had dinner with Uncle, I was uh pointing my knife at him... Stop looking at me like that! I was trying to mimic my intensive training! And yeah, so as I was saying, I pointed my knife – my eating knife at him – and then this guard came to PIN MY ARM behind my back like I was some criminal. Then I got fed up and moved out. ...Yup."

I paused for air.

Sasuke sighed heavily. "Annoying."

I nearly exploded. "You wouldn't know how I feel!"

"Yeah. Because no one is alive to fuss over me like your Uncle does for you."

Seconds ticked by and the implication behind his words sunk in.

I immediately placed my hand on his arm, looking at him with wide eyes. "Oh my God I am so sorry, I wasn't thinking – "

"Yeah, I know that. You usually don't." A small smirk graced his features.

"How do you know about it though?" I asked curiously. "About me not speaking to him, I mean."

"Kakashi has been crying about it to us almost every day."

"WHAT? Really?!"

The smirk on his face told me that he was merely mocking me. I punched his arm, grumbling.