22: A Dark Future

Adrian

My dad held me as I cried on his shoulder. The memories of all the bad things that had happened, how Troy betrayed and took everything from me, ultimately was what made me hate him and I could not shake it. I hadn't been able to, even after five years.

            Seeing both of my parents, my dad alive, only intensified how badly the future had turned out. I had lost everything, even Ana Leticia and I had not spoken in a long time, since Kaan was killed in battle.

            A battle that occurred because of Troy's unwillingness to reason.

            Even after five years, she was still heartbroken. Evren, though I had initially seen him as my worst enemy, we became close but even he was taken from me. He too was killed and ultimately, I was left alone.

            My mom tried to be there for me but I had shut everyone out. I could not deal with all the losses. Our dad was once of the warriors that had fallen, along with other rangers.

Karone and her brother Andros, Zhane, Leo Corbett and his brother Mike, Kendrix – who had taken the mantle of the Pink Ottoman Ranger, Emma, Gia, Jake, Kimberly Hart, Cassie Chan, Ashley Hammond, Nick Russell, his mother Udonna, and even the Red Samurai ranger – Jayden Shiba.

            To name a few.

            Dubai, had become the epicenter of the battle. An intense battle that destroyed everything in its path and the battle spread to other parts of the world, resisting the threat that had arisen because of Troy.

            Even after five years, the memories of those dark days were etched in my mind. Even a global pandemic occurred that lasted three years. The world, in my time, had recovered and life was back to normal, or as normal as it could, especially after so many civilian casualties.

            "Come on, son!" my dad helped me up and we went to the attic.

            We sat in the same sofa I sat in, even in my time. The same sofa my dad loved sitting in.

            "Dad, I'm sorry."

            "It's okay son, you have nothing to be sorry for. But I need you to tell me what's going on because if you don't, I can't help you."

            "I can't tell you because the future, it can change in ways that can be unpredictable. It could change in ways that could be even more catastrophic."

            "Adrian, listen to me. I know you're scared and I can see it in your eyes that you've suffered a lot and I am so sorry, but what if you being here is meant to help us change the future? What if this was no coincidence? What if you're meant to change the future, by changing the past?"

            His words were reassuring but I was still apprehensive. The only two people I was able to trust in my time, were my parents. Except, our dad was one of the casualties.

            "Dad, you don't know how bad things get. In the next three years, it all goes downhill and I know something in this timeline is what offsets those events. I just don't know everything because Troy kept everything to himself."

            "What do you mean?"

            "I think I said too much."

            "Son, you need to tell me what happens. I know you're scared of what could happen but we can save your future, yours, Troy's, all of ours. But we need your help to do it."

            "What if things change in even worser ways?"

            "If you say it's as bad as it is, then maybe it can't get any worse" he once again tried to assure me. "Listen, you've always been vocal with me. I know you and your mom have had your differences but I promise if you help us change whatever happens, we will prevent it."