5: Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Adrian

My fist was hurting from punching Mike. I knew my savage reaction was definitely not one of my best moments, but he literally hit the wrong nerve by bringing Troy into the mix.

"What happened to your hand?" Ana Leticia walked in, holding a cup of coffee.

"You don't wanna know."

"Come on, since when do you get into fights?"

"Not often, and definitely not since the last time I saw Mark Salas. You remember him, don't you?"

"He's the bully your brother often times had to put in his place whenever he bullied you when you were kids."

"Yep."

"Was it him who you clubbed with your fists?"

"No, someone else. A friend of Jayden's."

"Jayden Shiba?"

"Yes."

"I have not seen or heard from him in so long. How is he doing?"

"Good, I guess. Haven't seen him in two years."

"Since you left home" she gave me a funny look.

"Why am I sensing that you're trying to send me a subtle message?"

"I spoke to your mom. She really wants you to stay home, at least for a little while."

"No, I can't. I wish I could, but L.A. is the last place I want to be in."

"Not even for Ali Mateo?"

"Ana Leticia!" I scolded.

Only, she was right. My little brother definitely needed me, but I knew that as long as Evren was around, he would be in danger if he was around me. I could not lose him to Evren as well, not the way I lost Troy.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, why?" I looked up at her.

"Are you sure? For a moment it seemed like you were somewhere else."

"I'm right here! Now, do you mind stepping off of this subject of me staying behind?"

"There's no need to get defensive. I'm just saying that as bad as some things might be, you can't run away from them either. At some point, you're going to have to face them."

"You're right. I'm sorry" I apologized.

"You can return to Istanbul whenever you want. Neither Kaan nor I would ever just abandon you. But maybe the fact that you now have a new baby brother, should motivate you to be there for him, since Troy is..." she held back.

"Come on, you can say it."

"Do you want Ali Mateo to grow up without a brother to look out for him? Troy's not here, but you are."

"And that's what has me angry at him!" I said without thinking.

"What do you mean? What happened to him was not his fault. It was an accident."

That was what I told her and Kaan, that Troy had been killed in a car accident. It was the only thing I could come up with, and it was ridiculous.

"I don't want Ali Mateo to grow up without a brother. But I also cannot stay, though believe me, I really wish I could now."

"Why do I sense that there's something you're not telling me?"

"Why would you think that?"

"Because even the fact that you now have a little brother who needs you, you still insist on leaving and not facing things face on. That's why."