2: Enemy Visit

Adrian 

School was over, for the summer at least. Ana Leticia was also on vacation, and was out with her boyfriend Kaan, who had also become a good friend of mines. In fact, he and I became quite close that I almost saw him like a brother.

Kaan sent me a text, telling me to go meet up with him and my cousin to have lunch. I almost told him I wanted to stay in, but I also did not want to not do anything. Maybe a little sunshine might lift my mood, because I felt anything but happy. I grabbed my phone, and headed out with my skateboard.

Istanbul for the most part felt familiar by now, but it still felt different to be walking around these streets by myself. I continued walking until I got to the train station, and headed over to the Zorlu Shopping Center, where no doubt Ana Leticia was shopping, and possibly looking for a dress for tonight. Since we both finished the school year in one piece, she wanted the three of us to go out for an exclusive and probably expensive dinner.

"Hey you!" Ana Leticia shouted from afar.

I walked over to her, and as always she was all smiles like Kaan was. "Hey, where's Kaan?"

"He's looking for an outfit to wear tonight. You're still coming right?"

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world" I said, but without any real feeling. I hated having to put it this way, but I could safely say that even two years later, I was still depressed.

"What's going on? You seem sad" she said, concern laced in her face.

"I am sad" I sat down. "Look, I had a dream, a week ago."

"About what?"

"Troy."

"Troy?"

"Yes, but this dream felt different. It was almost like it was really him visiting me, but that's impossible."

"Well yeah, but then again he was your brother. Of course a dream like that would feel a lot more real than any other dream ever could."

"I know, but even though it was a week ago, I could still remember every detail down to how he was dressed, how he looked, and even how he smelled when he got up close."

"I'm sorry you're dealing with this" she hugged me. I was holding back from shedding tears, which I did not want to do. "Look, maybe tonight might help get your mind off of things."

"I'm sure it will" I felt doubtful, but I was not about to ruin it for her.

"Come on, you too have a lot to celebrate. You got into a Turkish University and picked up Turkish super quickly again. You passed your first year with flying colors. You should be very proud" she commended, smiling.

"I know, but to be honest...as much as it's going to make me sound like a major killjoy here, I just can't seem to make myself happy. Maybe you both should go have dinner, and I'll stay home."

"Oh no, you deserve to celebrate as much as we both do. Besides, you've accomplished a lot in so little time. You deserve this."

"Well..."

"Look, I know what happened to Troy has you in this state of depression. It's normal, and neither I nor Kaan expect you to recover just like that. I hate to say it, but you might never actually get over it. You'll just get used to it."

"That's the thing, I don't want to get used to it. I'm not sure I want to get used to not having a brother" I started crying.

"I know you don't. But just know that we're here for you, and we'll always have your back."