20: Rebellion and Defiance

Adrian

Our mom locked us up in the attic, while we were knocked out. It was clearly a ploy to get us to get over our differences, but at the end of the day that was not going to happen.

I was still a bit groggy from the little stunt she pulled on Troy and me. He too seemed just as groggy and out of it as I was, but chances were he would recover rather quicker than I would, as he was clearly now different in every sense.

He got up and walked over to me. I tried my best to maintain my composure, because while I knew he was the same Troy, at the same time he didn't feel like he was. "If you're looking for an apology, you're wasting your time. I'm not going to apologize for nothing."

"How did you become so hardened? You were never like this before" he looked at me with a very distraught and shocked expression.

"I'm not the little boy you once knew. In fact, I'm not a boy anymore."

"You're still a boy, you're only eighteen years old, and yet you have all this anger and..."

"Why don't you shut it and save your breath! I can really care less what you think! I just want you to do whatever it is that you have to do, and go back to your new life in Valhalla."

"Don't you want me to come back? Back into your life, our parents, and our little brother?" he looked sad.

"It's what I want, but most of all, I want our family to go back to how it used to be. Only now more than ever, I know that will never happen ever again. I know you'll eventually leave and never come back."

"I'll always be your brother. I will always be with you, even if I'm not here."

"You know what, your stupid words are giving me a migraine. Just shut up and be quiet."

"What do you want from me?!" he became exasperated. "What can I do to make you happy again?!"

"I want you to come back, so we can be a complete family again. That's what will make me happy!"

"You know I cannot come back. Valkyrie Law forbids us to return to our former lives, and our former families."

"Then I guess you can't make me happy!" I stood up. "And like you just said, we're no longer family. So why don't you go back to your new life, and stay away from ours. We're nothing of yours, just like you're nothing of ours anymore."

I walked toward the door, wanting to see if I could jam the knob. I tried twisting it, hoping that I could break it open, but it was obviously a dumb idea because it was locked.

"The door is locked."

"I know that!" I glared at him.

"You know already that we're not going to be able to get out of here unless mom opens the door."

"Wanna bet?" I challenged. His expression went from calm, to worried, in an instant.

"What are you going to do?"

I looked around to see what could potentially be useful to break open the door, if necessary, since my parents were clearly not going to open it. Therefore, I was going to have to take matters into my own hands. Finally, I noticed a baseball bat sitting on a corner, looking pretty lonely, and knew that was going to be my key out of here. I went to grab it, Troy looking at me like I was potentially crazy and out of my mind. Of course he wasn't stupid, as he knew what I was going to do.

"What are you out of your mind?!"

"Move out of my way!" I warned, and walked passed him.

Immediately, I started smashing the doorknob with the bat, the smashing sounds so loud that it felt like my eardrums were going to explode. The knob was getting seriously dented, but it was taking a little too long to break as that thing was seriously nailed. I continued smashing it, making sure that every single piece fell and broke. After smashing the damn thing for far too long, I jammed the reaming pieces inside, causing the other side of the knob to fall. Voila, it was open, and briefly looked at Troy, who probably thought I had lost my damn mind. Opening the door, I noticed my mom, Evren, and dad. They looked at me the same as Troy was, like I was seriously losing my edge.