18 || Hopeful

- 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 -

Seven days.

Over the past week, the news has been going on nonstop about the Headquarters Attacker, the identity of the culprits, Shredder's death, most of the Foot Clan's escape, all of it. Each person in the city is talking about the conflict. The police force chats all the time about every topic, and it always bored Violetta. As Vi felt like she was rotting in this cold cell, she held her knees against her chest, the wounds from a week ago healing decently under her wraps and bandages.

She has never felt so alone since Rory died. It feels like she doesn't have a shelter to run to now that she's in a jail cell. The only person who checked on her was Donnie and out of being busy, he was able to visit her today. Finally. Other times, he called Headquarters to get frequent updates about Violetta and even got to speak to her over the phone. Now, he's been escorted to Violetta's cell.

"Here she is." Says the officer who guided Donnie through the station with caution.

He smiled the second he saw her. "Vi." The mutant said lightly, jogging up to her cell.

Violetta quickly got to her feet, rushing to the cell bars with great excitement. This was the first time she's smiled since her arrest. "Don!" Her single hand gripped the bars, meeting Donnie on the other side.

"Told you I'd visit." He grinned. "It only took a week... Sorry."

All Violetta could do was shrug at his words. But she's very happy to see Donnie here, a safe haven for her. She rested her head between two cell bars, closing her eyes in guilt, feeling everything overwhelm her in an instant. "I wish Shredder could have changed." She says faintly. "I could have saved Rory, too." Her voice begins to break.

"Oh, Vi. There's nothing you could have done." He said, placing his hand on hers, both of them gripping the bars. "Shredder was just too powerful. Progress is impossible without change, and those who can't change their minds can't change anything."

Hearing these words forced the true emotion trapped inside Violetta to be released. The tears began to fall while she gazed into Donnie's eyes. "All of this started because I shot one of you during a mission... Shredder saw my potential, and power is what drove me to find you."

"Violet--"

"Donnie, I wanted to please that sick man by murdering all of you." She cried softly, lowering her head to avoid eye contact with him. "I'm so sorry for causing this trouble."

Donnie wanted to cry as well when he heard the pain and regret in Violetta's voice. He reached through the cell and placed his hand on her shoulder, then trailed his hand up her neck and rested behind her head. He understands she had gone through so much, yet he doesn't quite understand how much chaos and abuse she experienced for eighteen years. Her story is a lifetime of awful memories and rarely any happiness. Don wants to change that somehow, helping her start over no matter how difficult it is. He muttered a few words before lifting her chin up so she'd face him. "Vi, I forgive you." He whispered, bringing his hand to the side of her face and cupping it gently. "I do."

Shocked to hear words she believed she didn't deserve, Violetta's breath shuddered and she leaned her puffy, tearful cheek into Donnie's palm. She's been forgiven for the wrongdoings she's committed, which brought her great relief.

Then, suddenly, "Time's up." says the same officer who escorted Donnie.

The tall turtle let out a deep sigh, slipping his hand to her shoulder. "I have to go."

"I'm tired of this place," Vi whispered, dreading the atmosphere of this cell.

"You'll be out soon. My brothers and I are working on getting the charges dropped." Donnie explained quickly.