Chapter 7: The Mirror of Galadriel

You follow Frodo's directions, and have to remind yourself to not stop and examine, Every. Single. Flower.

You arrive where Lady Galadriel is. There's a bubbling fountain. She's using a metal pitcher to pour water from the fountain into a stone basin.

"You are an interesting person, and have had a long journey, " Galadriel says, setting the metal pitcher off to the side. "But it is far from over. Come, take a look in my mirror."

"What does the mirror show? Surely, it's more than a mirror to admire your appearance."

"It shows what is, what was, and what has not yet come to pass."

You place your hands on the stone rim of the bowl and peer inside.

You see the White City of Minas Tirith. Since that is your hometown, you could describe it to someone from memory. Flames erupt throughout, consumeing the city.

The scene changes. Now you see you and Faramir. You are not sure if this is before or after the city burning.

Faramir, in spite of obvious tiredness, he looks happy.

In your arms is an infant. The child looks like a combination of you and Faramir.

You're about to pass the child to Faramir, when a look of pure shock crosses his face.

He slowly looks down.

Your gaze follows his.

Crimson blood blossoms through his shirt.

His knees buckle, sending him to the ground.

You gasp when the water returns to normal.

"City burning, Gondor falling, Faramir dead," You say, even though Galadriel gives the impression she saw what you saw. "We...we had a child together."

"This is what is yet to come, if the Ring Bearer should fail."

"My lady. I shouldn't even be here," Your voice catches, you can feel tears start to well up. "Faramir had the dream three times, while Boromir had it only once. I was told to go with Boromir."

"Your fate is just as much tied to the ring as Frodo's," She rests a hand comfortingly on your shoulder. "Should the enemy get his hands on the ring, Gondor will be the first to fall."

"I understand. It's just..." You take a deep breath, you hadn't thought of telling her about the ring tempting you, but after seeing what was in her mirror.

"I was tempted by the ring going through the Cahadras. Frodo offered it to me," You lower your voice. "I - I could hear the ring. I-It spoke to me. But only I could hear it. You probably think I'm mad for saying that."

"No, I don't. I know the ring has the power of which you speak. I had also met the one who made it."

"You did, my lady?"

"It was another age, when the rings were being forged."

"Three for the Elves, who are the wisest and fairest. Seven for the Dwarf Lords, and Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die," You say, "Lord Elrond mentioned something of that in Rivendell. I was playing a game of chess with Arwen. I don't think her father, knew I had overheard him and Gandalf talking."

"You are correct. He was known as the Maia Annatar, the Lord of Gifts. He taught Celebrimbor and the other Ñoldor of Eregion in the creation of the Rings of Power. The honeyed words he said to you are the same he used to bring down, Isildur, the King of Gondor."

"He cut the ring from Sauron. It's a story almost all the children of Gondor know. I heard the story several times growing up."

Galadriel nods then continues, "You did the right thing, by rejecting him. But one of two things will happen. Either he will leave you alone, and bother you no more. Or he will continue to hound you, until you make the journey to The Halls of Mandos."