𝟕: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐥

The morning sunlight slanted through the high windows of the mansion, casting long, cool shadows across the polished marble floor

The morning sunlight slanted through the high windows of the mansion, casting long, cool shadows across the polished marble floor. Aisha, adorned in a sari that whispered against her legs, descended the grand staircase. The delicate chime of her silver anklets danced with the gentle breeze that seemed to forever sigh through the vast halls.

At the foot of the stairs, Geeta, her mother-in-law, awaited her with a warm smile. Geeta's kind eyes crinkled at the corners, and her arms spread wide in a welcoming gesture. "Aisha beta," she cooed, her voice as soothing as the rustling leaves outside. Cupping Aisha's cheeks in her gentle hands, she gave them a light squeeze. "Aajao, good morning."

Aisha leaned into the familiar touch, returning the greeting with a soft, "Good morning, Maa." Her voice held a quiet contentment that mirrored the peaceful morning light.

Geeta beamed, her smile reaching to her eyes. "Beta, don't worry about a fancy breakfast today. Just a simple kheer will do for the puja. We'll get this ritual done quickly."

The idyllic moment shattered with the entrance of Aarav, Aisha's brother-in-law. He swaggered in a playful glint in his eyes and launched into a theatrical double-air kiss. "Good morning, beautiful ladies!" he declared, the emphasis landing heavily on the last word.

Geeta chuckled, used to her son's antics. "Aaru," she said, feigning offence, "must you always greet us like we're strangers?"

Aisha, however, couldn't help but smile. Aarav's vibrant energy, a stark contrast to Kabir's stoicism, added a touch of chaos to their otherwise peaceful mornings.

"Where's Maanya?" Aisha inquired, curious about her younger sister-in-law's absence.

"Early bird, that one," Aarav replied, popping a biscuit into his mouth. "Dance class at 6 am, can you believe it?"

Just then, the sound of Kabir's heavy footsteps echoed down the hallway. He emerged, still in his casual attire – a rumpled white t-shirt hastily thrown on. His brow furrowed in a familiar frown. "Aarav," he began, his voice a low growl, "Where's the Malhotra file?"

Aarav, unfazed by Kabir's intensity, continued munching on his snack. "Malhotra's file, huh? Let me think..." he drawled, feigning concentration. "Oh yeah, I gave it to Shagun."

Kabir's face contorted in further annoyance. "Aarav, I'm asking you something," he gritted out, clearly frustrated by his brother's nonchalance. 

"Told you, Bhai," Aarav insisted, his voice laced with mock innocence, "gave it to Shagun, just like I said."

Kabir's anger flared. "Why would you do that? I specifically told you to keep that file in the mansion!" he roared.

Aarav, sensing the shift in his brother's mood, flinched. He shot a playful glance at Aisha, then darted behind her like a child seeking refuge. "Look, Bhabhi," he whined, putting on his most adorable pout, "Bhaiya is scolding me again so early in the morning!"