Getting Closer To Him

Katara

Sun Ray: What's your status?

Me: I've been doing my best to get close to Prince Zuko but his fiancee is determined to keep us apart. She thinks of herself above me and went as far as to call me a peasant and slap me

Sun Ray: Does the prince know?

Me: No, I haven't seen or spoken with him yet

Sun Ray: You need to get him on your side Katara

Me: I know. I'll see if I can talk to him today

Sun Ray: Dont try, do

"Katara". I looked up and saw Sokka making his way over to me. "What's up"? "Are you sure you're ok? You didn't accidentally hit your head or anything". I shook my head smiling. "No, but I appreciate the concern. To be honest I didn't expect you to leave the princess's side".

"I didn't want to but she insisted I take a break". "I'm glad she did you look exhausted". "I would do the same for you". "I know you would and I appreciate it". He smiled taking the seat beside me. "I know it was only for a little while but how do you like the prince"?

"He's nice". I smiled. "He cares about his sister tremendously and she feels the same way about him but his fiancee isn't the right person for him. He is full of light and warmth, I'm scared if he marries her that she'll extinguish that light".

"So you're worried about him"? "I don't want to be but I am and strangely it doesn't bother me that I am". "You're a good person Katara, a bit stubborn and annoying at times but still a good person nonetheless. When we were kids you never wanted to see anyone hurt and that's still true to this day.

You should know that he is worried about you as well. He found out about Lady Mei assaulting you and ran around the palace looking for you. It wasn't until he ran into me that he was able to relax".

"Really"? He nodded. "I really think you should talk to him".

Nighttime came quicker than I expected it to. I tried my best to lie down in bed and calm my thoughts but it was no use. I couldn't stop thinking about today and everything that happened.

Zuko came looking for me. He was actually worried about whether or not I was hurt. Me an outsider.

The thought warmed my heart tremendously. I had a lot of friends back home but they all knew my backstory and I knew there's. Zuko knew nothing about me. He has no idea I'm a killer, a spy. I know it's my mission but I don't want to get close to him, not if I'm just going to end up hurting him in the end.

I had no choice. I had to go find Sokka and tell him I could no longer go through with the mission. Ever so carefully I climbed out of bed and slowly tiptoed out of the room. From the hallway, I grabbed one of the candle sticks that were placed outside the room on a tray and used it to light my way.

The hallways all looked the same making it hard to figure out where I was going. During the day was a lot easier with the sunlight coming through the windows. I searched for him for a long time until I eventually came across a garden part of the palace.

I had no idea how I ended up here but there was no turning around after I saw him. His back was turned to me with his hair down as he looked up at the stars in the dark velvet sky. I knew I shouldn't but I went towards him regardless.

"Prince Zuko". He turned his head towards me. His eyes were immediately filled with relief and joy as a smile appeared. "Looks like you were the one to find me instead". I smiled back. "Come sit with me for a while would you"?

I did as asked and made my way beside him. It was quiet out. A few fireflies surrounded us as the gentle sound of water filled our ears with the moonlight dancing on the water's surface.

"I heard you were worried about me". "I was. It was wrong of Mei to treat you like that. I don't care what your job is your still a person at the end of the day". "Thank you your highness but I would hate for you to get into trouble behind me".

He shook his head. "I don't care if I get into trouble for doing the right thing. My mother always said that doing the right thing and being truthful is never easy but it must be done.". "She sounds like a wise woman".

"She is or maybe was at this point". He looked down, his eyes filled with hurt and sadness. "What do you mean by that"? "I haven't seen my mother in the past ten years. I have no idea what happened to her. I have no idea if she's hurt, sick, or held captive somewhere all I know is that she never wants me to become like my father and I don't blame her.

My father is ruthless. He doesn't care who he hurts just as long as things go the way he wants them to. If I'm being honest I think Sokka is the only protection besides me Azula actually has. I'm heir to the throne so he could care less if she actually lives or dies".

Tears filled his eyes but he didn't allow them to fall, I don't know if it's because I was here or not all I know is that I took him into my arms and held him close. I could tell he's needed one for a long time.

"All I want is for her to be safe". "I know you do. You're a good brother Zuko. I know there's absolutely nothing you wouldn't do for Azula and she knows that as well. I know it feels hopeless right now, I know it feels like you will never escape this pain but I promise you you will.

Sokka's the only family I have left. After our parents were gone I felt empty and alone but he was always there when I needed him regardless of how much I yelled at him or blamed him. Our parents didn't abandon us they were actually killed.

I've been searching for their killer but haven't been successful in it. She's not here but I know your mother wouldn't be mad at you for any of this". "It hurts, I want to look for her. I've wanted to look for her for years but don't know where to start". He cried silently. All I could do for him in that moment was hold him.

Word Count: 1155