Mother

Ozai

My shoes echoed against the polished hardwood floors as I made my way over to my son's room. I wanted to see if he finally learned his lesson and understood what his place in this family was. I can't afford to have any weak links. Our enemies need to know that the Eagan's are one and nothing will be able to break us.

Once I arrived at his door I opened it to find his bed empty and Mei distraught. "Where is he"? She turned to me and immediately bowed. "I have no idea, when I didn't see him in his room I went searching for him everywhere but I wasn't able to find him or Azula".

"You mean to tell me my son and daughter are missing Mei? What kind of fiancée can't keep an eye on her future husband? Her future king"? "I'm so sorry my lord, I'll go out and start searching for them right away".

"Start with Ty Lee, she is the only friend Azula trusts at the moment, you made sure of that".

Katara

I made my way back to his room the second the medic had left. Azula was with Sokka in one of the rooms they had picked out. I knew she was still mad but I was glad she was able to trust me enough to be alone with her brother no matter how small it might be.

Slowly, carefully I made my way next to him and sat. With a gentle hand, I brushed a few strands out of his face and just watched him as he slept. He was so at peace right now. His chest rose and fell softly over and over. His face was relaxed despite the painful burn mark that now decorated the left side of his face. A mark that he will have to live with for the rest of

What kind of Father could do this to his own child? What kind of Father could put his hand on his son? Thank you for being nothing like Ozai's daddy. Thank you for loving me and Sokka to your dying breath.

"K Katara". He called out in a strained raspy voice as he tried to lift his hand up to reach for me with his eyes closed. I took it and held it in both my hands. "I'm right here, it's ok". His eyes slowly opened reveling the confusion that was in them but faded away as soon as they were able to look into mine.

"Where are we"? "On a plane heading to where your mother is hopefully. Do you remember what happened"? He looked at me for a few seconds before nodding slowly. "Wheres Azula"? "She's with Sokka, she's safe".

"Do you have to go again"? I shook my head. "No, I'm going to stay in here with you. I don't want you to be alone". "Won't your boyfriend be upset? He seemed very protective of you". "I'm going to lay next to you and hold you". I made my way underneath the covers wrapping my arms around him. In return, he rested his head against me with his arms around me as well.

"Jet is in love with me but I'm not in love with him, I see him as nothing more than a good friend I grew up with. After my parents died Sokka and I were sent away to be trained as assassins".

"Was I just a target to you? A mission"? There was no anger in his voice, either he was too tired to be angry or genuinely wasn't. I was glad either way. "No, and neither was your sister. Our mission was always to kill your father, yes Sokka and I were supposed to get close to you both but the more I got to know you and spend time with you I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Your a good person Zuko. You deserve to be king, you and Azula both deserve to be happy but it can't be with Mei. I can see how miserable she makes you. She probably doesn't even care that your hurt but I do, it hurts seeing you like this".

"You haven't known me that long". "It doesn't matter. I want to be here, I want to help you". "Katara". "Please Zuko, please allow me to stay by your side until all of this is over".

"You remind me so much of her". "Your mother". He nodded. "If she is alive I'm sure she'll love you". I gently stroked his hair. "I know it's a long shot but I do believe she is alive. If not in her hometown then somewhere else".

"Do you intend to help me look forever". "If that's what it takes". "What's your last name"? Mizutani".

It was dark when we landed. Instead of Sokka Zuko leaned on me as I helped him walk off the plane and over to one of the cars Sokka had rented online. "Are you sure you know what your doing"? Jet asked as Sokka closed the door for Azula. He was going to drive one car while I drove the other.

I helped Zuko into the passenger seat and closed the door before turning to look back at him. "I am, now if you'll excuse me I have somewhere to be. I made my way to the driver's seat and took off following behind Sokka.

The town we were in wasn't anything extraordinary. There were tall buildings with lots of homes and a variety of different shops and food places. I had found out about it but it was obvious Sokka actually found the name of the town and where it was.

The further we drove the more anxious Zuko became. He took my hand in his squeezing it occasionally but we didn't speak a word to each other. I knew this was hard for him. I knew he was scared and wasn't sure of what to expect or what not to expect.

After fifteen minutes I noticed we had left town and were now heading into a country area. We drove for five more minutes until we came across a two-story cottage on the side of the road.

The front porch had a bench swing with two white pillars on each side which were painted white to match the house. A fireplace was located on the left side of the house where a black roof could be seen.

I looked over at Zuko. His eyes held longing and sadness as he looked at the front door, this time I squeezed his hand causing him to let out a shaky breath. "I can go with you if you need me to". "Please". He whispered.

We stepped out of the car the same time Sokka and Azula did. I helped Zuko up the steps to the porch and stood beside him. He and Azula looked at each other before eventually working up the courage to knock on the door.

"Coming"! His breath hitched as a female's voice called out. A few seconds later a woman who looked exactly like Azula answered the door wearing a red robe with a matching lingerie set underneath. Her mouth was slightly open as her eyes held recognition and love within them.

"Zuko, Azula".

Word Count: 1222