Chapter 1 - Going to School

Hachiman POV

The buses departing from the station were empty. Well, it's only natural that we've just arrived and are preparing to accept passengers.

I sit in the fourth seat from the back and read. When I open the window, the gentle spring breeze tickles my face and it feels so good. I might just fall asleep like this.

After reading for a while, people started to come in and the seats started to fill up. When I looked, there were office workers, high school girls in sailor suits, and mothers with children, all sitting there looking at me. But the uniform I'm wearing is famous, so it can't be helped.

I ignored their gaze and resumed reading...but after a while, I felt a tap on my shoulder, so I looked up.

"Um...can I sit here?"

In front of him was a girl with silver hair and a fluffy appearance. Besides, she wears the same uniform as me. When I looked around, I saw that most of the seats were occupied, and there were only two vacant seats, including mine... Ah, they're now occupied.

"(...I guess I can't help it.) Please."

"Thank you. Ah, I'm Hiyori Shiina. We're in the same uniform, so maybe we're in the same class, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me your name?"

"...Hikigaya Hachiman."

Sighing inwardly, I agreed, and after thanking me, she sat down next to me.

At that time, I smelled a nice smell, so I turned my attention to the book and just gave my name.

However, the girl sitting next to me, Shiina, looks at me and the book in my hands with interest, and approaches me.

“A study in scarlet? Hikigaya-san, do you like Conan Doyle?”

I reflexively nod at the question.

"I like this too."

While saying this, she pulls out the 'Four Signatures'. However, unlike the Japanese translated version I have, it was an English book. This girl is a real force.

"Right now, there aren't many people my age who read books, so I'm happy to have someone like me.''

She smiles at me with her eyes sparkling, but there is no hint of contempt in her eyes. Is she a normal girl?

"Well, I'm sure no one was reading in middle school."

There were so many people who played manga and games, and very few people, myself included, read books.

Well, I didn't read books at school after a certain incident in junior high school caused people to hate me so much that my belongings were destroyed.

While thinking this, the bus slowly begins to move. In the meantime, the girl next to me was talking to me about Conan Doyle's books, so I responded, feeling overwhelmed.

To be honest, I'm really nervous, but for some reason I feel like I can't resist her gentle demeanor, and I'm able to reply somehow because her eyes don't have any of the scorn that I received so often in middle school.

“...It seems like you really like books, but are you going to this school so that you can become a librarian after you graduate?”

"Yes, that's one of the ideas, but since I took the trouble to enroll in Advanced Training High School, I would like to think about other options too."

Well, I guess so. The school that Shiina and I will enroll in is an advanced training high school. It is one of the most prestigious schools in the country that will almost certainly meet your desired educational and employment goals.