Christmas

"MARI... do you remember that one Christmas? What would it be... six, no, seven years ago?" I asked my sister.

MARI laughed as she took a small sip of hot cocoa. "Yeah... I sort of remember."

I nodded. "Your memories still aren't that clear after the coma?"

"Yeah." MARI said.

"Well, guess I'll just have to refresh your memory.

"It was afternoon, after everyone had opened Christmas gifts with their family... well, except for BASIL, because his parents were on a trip, so he'd slept over at our house. HERO came over to see you, so KEL tagged along, of course, and if KEL, HERO, and BASIL were are here, why not invite AUBREY?

"So AUBREY came over.

"We were all in our sleep wear, and it was cold outside, and warm outside, and there was a fire in the fire place and I wasn't worried about you going to college and leaving me, because you were here beside me. BASIL wasn't worried about his family not loving him, because we, his real family, were here with him. KEL wasn't worried about trying to look happy enough because he was actually was happy. HERO wasn't worried about the fact his parents wanted him to be a doctor rather than happy. AUBREY wasn't worried about the fact her mom hadn't paid the heating bill because she was in our house and it was lovely and warm.

"And you... were smiling, laughing, beautiful, as you always were. So, well, I guess how you actually were. But I hope you were happy."

"I was happy." MARI confirms, a soft smile on her face.

I smile back at her.

"Well, we were all happy, in the warm air, and I think you started making hot cocoa or something? Yeah, you and HERO made hot cocoa, and I remember looking at you two, how you laughed in the kitchen, happy, everyone was just so... fucking happy. Five years ago. That's the last time everyone was happy..." My words start to come out bitter, and angry, bitter tears start to bubble up in my eyes, dripping down my face.

MARI puts her hand on my shoulder.

"I love you, you know? BASIL loves you. AUBREY and HERO and KEL love you, deep down. Forgiveness is hard, and just remember, it's been four years, and you haven't forgiven yourself yet." My beloved sister tells me. 

"I just want my friends to not hate me... to speak to me for once... is that too much to ask for?"

"No, I don't think so." I hear a deep voice say, and whip my head around, to see my old friend, KEL, standing in the door way.

I glance at MARI, who smiles at my knowingly, and then I quickly stand up off of the couch, and run over to him, nearly knocking him down with the force of my hug. He catches me in his arms, and grabs me tight to him, and I feel happy in a way I don't think I've felt since Christmas five years ago.

As he steps inside, I see who's behind him. 

HERO.

HERO looks slightly pissed at me, but he can't help but smile as I hug him. He returns the hug after just over a second.

Behind HERO is AUBREY, who I hug as well. There's only one thing who could make this night perfect, and I see that he's peeking out from behind the doorframe, anxious to come inside, anxious to see me. 

The tears from earlier are running down my face even more, and as I see BASIL, I just start sobbing as he pulls me into his warm and safe arms.

"I... love... you... guys..." I gasp between tears. 

"Merry Christmas."

(604 words)

a/n - MERRY FUCKING CRHISTMAS INDEED!!!!

discord- https://discord.gg/WujvK6ZnFg

youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCImmULnrcvamVSAdR6DnyCA

trees au- https://www.wattpad.com/story/351657982-trees-an-omori-fic

god must hate me au- https://www.wattpad.com/story/354941375-god-must-hate-me

your time au- https://www.wattpad.com/story/328957907-your-time-au-omori