12- Penguin Park

--- at a newspaper stand in Berlint ---

The capital of Ostania, Berlint. This old woman is a contact for Westalis' intelligence agency, WISE.

Loid takes a bottle of orange juice from the rack as he takes it to the till, placing it on the countertop.

This man's name is Loid Forger, otherwise known by his codename, Agent Twilight. His occupation: spy. It appears as though, on top of the current important mission he is conducting, he's been given another.

Loid pays for the drink as the woman tells him something. Loid nods as he takes the drink, walking to the platform for the train as it pulls up.

This has been my life for decades now. Every day remains the same, and peace is fleeting. Will we ever see a day when we're not needed anymore?

The old woman asks as she watches Loid get on the train, the doors closing behind him.

--- the next day ---

A bomb goes off in a building on the outskirts of Berlint as the criminals lay unconscious on the ground. Loid walks through the smoke, into the room, as he spots the briefcase on the ground, picking it up. He dusts off his suit as he makes his way out of the room.

"Mission complete" Loid says calmly.

Loid makes it outside as he spots someone he needs to meet leaning against a map of the city as he walks over to them, taking out a cigarette, putting it to his lips as he lights it.

"Good morning, or perhaps, good evening, Twilight" the man says quietly, only just loud enough so Loid can hear him, "we thank you for completing your mission so quickly. How goes Operation Strix?".

That is his top priority mission to maintain peace between the East and West. That mission...

"It's going smoothly" Loid says calmly, "I have secured both a wife and child".

... is meant to bring the enemy country's plans for war to light, establish a family in said country, and infiltrate a certain academy.

"Very good" the man says with a small smile, "not standing out is an iron clad rule for a spy. Continue acting as a completely mundane family".

"I know" Loid says as he stubs out his cigarette, coughing due to smoking for the first time in a while.

"Did you quit smoking?" the man asks as he looks at Loid.

"Well, I do have a child now" Loid says with a small smile.

And thus, the Forgers came to be without issue, but...

--- at home ---

"Loid did say he was going to be late home, so why don't we eat out tonight?" Yor asks as she collects in the used cups from the table where she and Anya just finished their tea and hot chocolate.

"Yep" Anya says with a nod.

Doctors sure are busy. It must be difficult.

Yor says as she walks into the kitchen.

Papa isn't actually a doctor.

Anya says as she reads Yor's mind.

His daughter, Anya, whom he just happened to adopt from an orphanage...

Papa's real job is a spy. Today, he went to take down an arms dealer.

Anya says happily.

... is an Esper who can read minds.