𝟏𝟑: 𝐏𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞

AT A COFFEE SHOP

AT A COFFEE SHOP

A lively melody filled the air as Aisha and Karthik settled into their booth at the cosy restaurant near her college. "Hello, Mrs. Oberoi," Karthik teased, a playful glint in his eyes.

Aisha swatted him playfully. "Shut up, Karthik!" she mock-glared, a blush creeping up her cheeks.

"Seriously, though," he continued, his voice laced with mock hurt. "You know I still hold a grudge for bailing on me for your wedding. I was all set to make you Mrs. Malhotra – such a heartbreaker you are!"

A mix of emotions swirled within Aisha. His teasing confession was unexpected, a revelation that sent a jolt through her. She had always considered Karthik a good friend, perhaps even a brotherly figure, thanks to his protectiveness during their college days. Never in a million years did she imagine he harboured deeper feelings.

"Um..." she stammered, her fingers nervously fiddling with the edge of her dupatta. The white chikankari kurti with red leggings she wore suddenly felt a little too revealing under his scrutiny.

Sensing her discomfort, Karthik quickly backtracked. "Haha, relax Aisha, I was just pulling your leg!" He offered a too-bright smile, clearly attempting to downplay his earlier words. "Wouldn't want to make things awkward, right?"

Aisha offered a weak smile in return. "It's okay," she mumbled, the air crackling with unspoken tension. They both focused on their menus, the lighthearted banter momentarily replaced by a new understanding.

After their meal, they started walking, Aisha's interview at NV looming large in her mind. She planned to hail a taxi to get to Kabir's office, determined to earn her place on merit.

"Going somewhere?" Karthik inquired, noticing her determined stride.

"Um, yeah," she replied, a touch of nervousness creeping into her voice. "I have an interview at NV."

Karthik's brows furrowed in confusion. "An interview? Isn't that Kabir's company?"

Aisha nodded. "Yes, but I want to get in through the proper channels, and learn the ropes on my own. No special treatment, no unfair advantage."

This unwavering independence, this fierce spirit – it was one of the things Karthik had always admired about Aisha. Back in college, he had witnessed her tireless work ethic – juggling studies, a part-time job to support her family, and even helping with home renovations. He had been silently captivated by her strength and determination.

A genuine smile tugged at his lips. "That's the Aisha I know," he said, his voice filled with respect. "Strong, independent..." He hesitated, then added, "Look, if a cab isn't readily available, I can drop you off. No strings attached."