Old News

***

Three hours had passed since Lucia and I talked, I think she's fallen asleep in Bill's room or something. I wanted to go in and check up on her, but my gut feeling told me not to for some reason, I didn't wanna wake her up, or walk in and see something I wouldn't ever want to see, so I just left it. I sat on the couch in the living room, watching the news, watching all the police cars surround our home, watching our mother cry for us to come home, but I knew that wasn't happening anytime soon, and her tears would eventually stop and they would just give up on trying to find us.

My eyes widened as I heard footsteps coming from the stairs behind me, I was assuming it was Tom and Bill, or maybe just one of them, so I froze and pretended I didn't hear there loud steps.

"What time is it?" Her soft voice spoke from behind, my heart stopped beating rapidly.

I turned around quickly. "Morning!" I said enthusiastically, trying to lighten the mood since there was no "light" mood.

"Morning, what you watching?" She rubbed her eyes as she walked to the kitchen fridge. I quickly switched to the next channel, some random game show came on so I pretended I was watching that.

"Some bullshit gameshow, it's sooo boring" I scratched my head.

"Oh my God" Lucia yelled. "What's "Oh my God?" I rolled my eyes.

"It's 7pm?! How long was I asleep for?" She yelled, looking at the clock above the fridge.

I looked up the stairs quickly then back to her as I put my finger on my lips. "Shhh Lucia, they could hear you yelling" I whisper yelled.

"Who cares about them" She shrugged as she reaches into the fridge and pulled out a carton of milk. She then opens the cabinet and grabs some cereal with German writing on it.

"Müsli? Looks good to me" She shrugged again as she grabs a bowl from the sink.

"Could you make me some too?" I asked politely. I hadn't eaten in days, it felt like I was getting anorexic by the second.

"Sure thang" She then grabs another bowl and pours some milk in mine.

"Not too much cereal though please" I asked in an annoyed-jokingly way. Lucia always tended to fill the whole bowl with cereal.

She then walks over with two cereal bowls in her hand. "Here you go ma'am".

"Thanks gorg, I haven't eaten in days I feel like I could eat a table" I joked as I roll my eyes, taking a mouthful.

"Me too, I wonder what these fuck faces eat everyday since they aren't feeding us shit" She joked back as she takes a mouthful aswell.

"Probably dirt" I say as with a mouthful of cereal.

"Can we change this shitty channel?" She asked.

"What do you wanna watch then?" I got a little nervous thinking she'd wanna watch the news.

"Can we watch the news?"

God you've got to be kidding, the only reason I didn't want her to watch the news was because the only thing they talk about us missing, it was really doing my head in hearing about it all the time.

"Uhhh nah, surely theres better channels than the news right?" I tried to change her mind hoping it'd work.

"I really wanna watch it thought, I wanna know whats up with this country lately" She pleaded. Lucia was so innocent it made me a little overwhelmed, I felt really bad but I couldn't let her watch it.

I quickly snatched the remote from her. "I'll find something" I demanded.

"Give me it" She snatched the remote out of my hands and flicked through the channels, my heart rate was getting higher and higher with each channel passing by.

"Look, nothing bad on the news, it's just an ad" She calmly said as she started to relax a little, letting her body sink into the couch as she continued eating her cereal. I felt relieved, maybe the news about us was over and they were talking about something else.

The ad ended and our house popped up on the television, again.

"Is that our house?" She questioned, squinting her eyes at the tele.

"Uhhh, I think so" I pretended to be surprised.

"Bro why are they still talking about us, they're so obsessed I swear" She rolled her eyes in annoyance as she takes a spoonful. I was expecting her to start bawling her eyes out or storm off to her room, but she didn't and that shook me to the core, this isn't like her and I started to get concerned.

"You're not...sad?" I questioned.

She shook her head slightly. "Na, obviously it's gonna be on the news, we're legit missing kids". She was right, obviously we were gonna be on the news a-lot, especially with how quickly we were gone.

"Mum looks so stupid crying her eyes out like she didn't treat us like shit" She laughed.

"I know right, look at her, she's a hot mess" I laughed back, a bit of milk coming out of my nose. We both started cracking up that I almost pissed myself.

"Shit, I need to pee now" I laughed.

"Yeah, I think you should before you make the couch yellow" She snorted out of laughter.

"I'll be back" I placed my cereal on the table and walked up stairs to the bathroom. I turned the handle, realising that it was locked.

I knocked on the door. "Is anyone in there?"

"Tom in here" He yelled back. I gave a disgusted look at I mocked his words behind the door, I desperately needed to pee and he didn't seem like he was gonna come out anytime soon.

"Well can you please hurry up, I'm desperate" I yelled.

"This is my house, so you can wait" He said with an attitude.

"This is my house, so you can wait" I mocked him again, his voice was so easy to make fun of.

He finally opened the door, his tall figure leaning over me with an annoyed look on his face.

"Patience grasshopper" He rolls his eyes and pushes my head to the side and walks passed me, making me hit my head against the door frame. He really didn't need to start being an American bully over a bathroom.

"Jeez don't need to be rude about it" I gave him a stank look, rubbing my head as I walked into the bathroom and quickly shutting it behind me.

***