FÔRTY

6 months later

"Mummy, yuh si any a mi work shirt dem?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen in her bra and her work skirt with her hand over her chest

"In your closet miss."

"But mi look in there."

"An if mi come in there come find dem, wah yuh deserve?"

"Okay, mi aguh look again." She hurried out of the room and I chuckled because I knew she hadn't checked properly or probably at all.

It was surprising how quickly six months went by and even though it was hard at first, me and Zahra made it work.

She got a job as an assistant in a dental office because she insisted on helping me to pay the bills which I told her she didn't have to do but she wouldn't take no for an answer. I let her pay one bill and the money she gave me towards the rest, I put it in an account for her because after all, it was her hard earned money and I was really proud of her independence.

"Found them and you were right." She walked back into the kitchen now fully dressed with her handbag and her lunchbag. We took turns cooking every night and we brought lunch to work the next day because it was so much more convenient.

"Oh, I know baby."

"As always."

"Come pack up yuh food." Placing her stuff down, she opened her lunchbag and started packing her food away. "Remember that you should meet me at the supermarket later."

"I remember."

"Good, now gwaan cause Oraine outside a wait fi yuh." I didn't know who she was trying to fool or rather who they were trying to fool because she said they were just friends but I knew more when I saw more. She would tell me when she was ready to but it was funny to seeing her try to hold her smile or try not to blush at the mention of his name.

She came around the island and hugged me to which I hugged her back. "I love you, lata."

"Lata mi baby and I love you too." We pulled away from each other and she walked back around to grab her stuff. She picked her stuff up and waved before she left the house. I packed my lunch bag and brought it around the island where my bag was before I picked up my phone and dialed Akeel's number.

Akeel was this really nice guy that I had met when I started my new job and we had gotten close. "Good morning beautiful." He greeted me when he picked up on the second ring.

"Good morning Akeel."

"Mi deh round di corna suh yuh can lock up an wait outside fi mi."

"Okay." I ended the call before picking up my bags and my shoes. I turned the lights out and walked to the front door, grabbing my keys on the way out and locking the door behind me.