FÎFTY

"Can we talk?" I asked as I took a seat next to her at the island where she was eating some cornflakes while scrolling on tiktok

"Yeah, sure." She placed her phone down and turned her head to look at me.

"I don't want you to get the wrong idea about me and your dad because you know he's been coming around and staying the night since lately."

"It's none of my business."

"You're our baby, you must be curious."

"A little bit but I'm sure you know what you're doing."

"I decided to give him another chance."

"Are you sure?"

"I love him."

"I'm not judging you but please be careful because I don't want to be taking sides anymore. I just want our family back but not at the expense of your happiness." I never wanted to come between her and her father but now realising that, I had done exactly that. "You didn't come between us, he was being an asshole and he knows that's why I didn't want to be around him. He knows that he hurt you and I wasn't going to stand for that."

"I get it."

"You know him better than me so do what makes you happy."

"Thank you." She placed her hand over mine and gave it a squeeze. "I'll see you later baby."

"Out?"

"Shav is taking me out to eat."

"Bring me back something nice. Have fun, I love you."

"I love you, lata mi baby." Getting up, I leaned down to kiss her hair. Leaving the kitchen, I walked into the living room and picked up my bag before walking to the door and grabbing my keys off the hook.

I said a small prayer before letting myself out and locking the door behind me.
°••••••••••°

"Hol—..... Hold on." I said over the music as I excused myself from our section to find a less noisy spot to talk. I retraced my steps through the crowd to get to the bathroom which was quieter than the rest of the club.

I wasn't supposed to be here because we had agreed on dinner but her man's friend was celebrating his birthday and he got a section so he invited her and she dragged me along with her.

"Yah hear mi now?" I asked as I locked the door to the stall with a sigh.

"Weh yuh deh?"

"I'm out with Shav."

"Which part dat sound suh loud?"

"Um, we're at the club."

"Wid who?"

"Her boyfriend and his friends."

"Suh in odda words, mi need fi forward fi yuh den?" It sounded like he was driving but where was he going this late at night?