Chapter Twenty-Six: Yet to Come

You rest your head on Sukuna's chest as he walks through the woods. You were quiet for some time, your hands aching. Sukuna was getting worried you may be spiraling, but you looked up to him with a sad smile. "You're hurt, we can stop and rest, if you want to," you offer him. Sukuna lets out a small chuckle and shakes his head no. "I ran into some trouble on the way here, it wouldn't be smart to stop," he said. "And I'm fine."

"What kind of trouble?" you asked, worried, and now look over his shoulder. If there was something he fought and gave him trouble, it could still be following you both. "Oh just some weird black goop things," he answers. "They followed me from the ocean as I was tracking you."

"Damn they can do that?" you asked, concerned.

"I took care of them though, no need to worry. I'll keep you safe." Then Sukuna jumps into a tree, landing on the highest branch, and then sets you down. He loosens his kimono, his stomach's mouth open wide as he grabs his medical kit. He treats your wounds and then you take the medicine and treat his wounds. You dip your fingers in the cream and carefully touch his arm. As you spread the cream across his bicep, your fingers linger over his muscle.

At this point, you're subconsciously feeling his muscle. He doesn't say anything as you move on to the other cuts on his body. "Are you alright?" Sukuna asked, feeling now was the right time to ask about Nanami. He did find you in a vulnerable state, a child seeking a father's comfort one last time.

You remain quiet and Sukuna thought you were going to shut him out again, but you shake your head no. "Is it strange to say it felt like he really died?" you asked, shifting uncomfortably in your spot. "For all I know Nanami is dead and I was just telling myself white lies to make myself better about my decisions."

"I doubt it, if that business suit sorcerer was dead the brat would've let you know while he was in here with us," Sukuna reassured you. Sukuna knows Yuji better than anyone, that fool wore his heart on his sleeve and would not hold back on the thought of letting someone know if they're responsible for someone's death. After treating his wounds, you move closer to him and rest your head against his chest for comfort.

"Yeah you're right," you mumble. "Yuji would let me know if Nanami died...but what if he died after Yuji left-?"

"Enough, he isn't dead, and isn't going to be dead anytime soon," Sukuna stated, stopping your train of thought. "Okay," you breathe out. You take a deep breath and lean back against the tree branch instead of laying on him. You look at the sky and quickly sit up. "My food was ruined and I don't have any food for Steve!" You exclaimed, "shocked."