21 Petrify

" We don't even know this Tom Riddle. He sounds like a dirty rotten snitch to me." Ron decided.

"The monster killed someone, Ron. What would any of us have done?" Harry corrected.

"Look, Hagrid's our friend. Why don't we just go and ask him about it?" Hermione countered. 

"That'll be a cheerful visit. Hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?" Ron pondered as Hagrid walked up behind them.

"Mad and hairy? You wouldn't be talking about me, now would ya?" Hagrid laughed out.

"No!" They answered simultaneously.

"I need... what do I need..." Davina moved her pawn forward. Aemond stared down at the board a long moment. "Aemond?"

"Sorry." He whispered moving a knight. She captured it quickly. 

"You are distracted." Davina remarked. "Are you okay?" 

"Helaena has been acting weird." Aemond remarked as Seraphina the snake slithered around their feet. Davina picked her up putting her in her lap and stroking along her scales. 

"I can invessssstigate." Seraphina offered. 

"Thanks but she's like this sometimes." Aemond countered. 

"I hate when you two talk without me." Davina grumbled. "I wish I could talk to you, Seraphina." she cooed. 

"She offered to investigate." Aemond informed her. 

"Oh, thats a good idea, but I wouldnt want you getting hurt." Davina remarked. "You are easily stolen my little friend." 

" What's that you've got, Hagrid?' Harry asked instead.

"Oh, it's Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent. For the Mandrakes, you know. Now, according to Professor Sprout, they've still got a bit of growing up to do, but once their acne's cleared up, we'll be able to chop 'em up and stew 'em, and then we'll get those people down at the hospital unpetrified. In the meantime, though, you three had best be looking after yourselves, all right?" Hagrid questioned as Neville came running in "Hello, Neville."

" Harry, I don't know who did it, but you'd better come! C'mon!" Neville shouted. 

"This place is a mess." Vaera declared. "Did you have an ogre in here for a party?" Vaera questioned looking at Harry's ransacked dorm. 

"It had to be a Gryffindor. Nobody else knows our password. Unless it wasn't a student." Hermione remarked.

" Whoever it was, they must have been looking for something." Ron realized.

"And they found it." Harry realized, looking through his things. "Tom Riddle's diary is gone."

"That was your diary?" Vaera questioned. 

"Yes, have you seen it?" Harry questioned. 

"Just the other day on the table." Vaera answered. Harry nodded. That diary was dangerous. 

+

"I'm excited for the game." Helaena remarked. "Thanks for sitting by me, I know you like to sit with your friends at these, I think you should try out next year."

"I think I might." aemond agreed. "Helaena are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah, just been distracted, the voices," She shrugged. 

"I hear them too..." Aemond admitted. "Well... I hear something, I dont know what." Helaena's jaw slacked and her eyes widened. 

"You do?"

" All right, listen up. We play our game, Hufflepuff doesn't stand a chance." Oliver declared, he led the team out to the pitch. "We're stronger, quicker, and smarter."

"And not to mention, they're dead scared that Harry'll petrify them if they fly anywhere near him." Fred added.

"Well, that too." Oliver agreed as the professor approached. "Professor McGonagall."

"This match has been cancelled."

"Alright kids, get back to your dorms the game is canceled." 

"What?" Helaena questioned. 

"Glad its not a slytherin game," Aemond murmured. "Davina would throw a fit.

" They can't cancel Quidditch." Oliver demanded.

"Silence, Wood. You and your teammates will go to Gryffindor Tower, now." She demanded. " Potter, you and I will find Mr. Weasley. There's something the both of you have to see. " She led him to the hospital wing. "I warn you, this could be a wee bit of a shock." Harry and Ron stopped abruptly at the sight of Hermione's petrified body lying on a hospital bed. Vaera glanced back at them from Hermione's side. 

"She's..." Vaera whimpered. 

"Hermione..." Ron rasped quivering.

"She was found near the library, along with this." she held up a mirror. "Does it mean anything to either of you?"

"No." Harry answered touching Hermiones stiff hand. 

"She's going to be okay though right?" Vaera whimpered. "She is going to be okay? She has to be. You are going to fix her!" She begged. 

"We are going to do everything we can for all the students that have been effected." Minerva assured. "Come on, lets get back to the common rooms." 

"Canceled?" Davina questioned, "Why are we being ushered to the common rooms. What did those Gryffindors do?"

"Another body no doubt." Aegon offered. 

"Who?" Davina demanded. 

"It's just a guess." Aegon corrected walking off. 

"Aemond, is Helaena okay?" Davina questioned. 

"Yes. She was with me." Aemond agreed. "Davina, what if we are mud bloods? What if we are next?"

"Three mud bloods from the same family, I dont think that is likely." Davina remarked. "I think you have magic in your bloodline, on your mothers side. I dont think you have to worry." She added. Aemond smiled back at her, he knew Davina was bluffing but he was grateful.