SIXTEEN

25th august 2023, netherlands

UPON ARRIVING AT THE CIRCUIT, ELLA BECAME VERY NERVOUS. She was about to meet Max's father. And from the few stories Max had told her, he didn't seem like a very joyous guy. Even Max himself was hesitant to have Jos be a major presence in Millie's life. Before he hired Ella, when he was racing Max's mother would look after Millie and as such Jos hadn't seen Millie since she was a baby.

"What if he doesn't like me? Can he fire me?" Ella worried, Max laughed at her. "No he can't fire you, I won't let him." Max had been much more delicate towards Ella since she had opened up to him, they were getting closer and closer by the day.

"Are you excited for your home race?" She asked, Max nodded and told her a bit about his experience racing here last year, he had won. Max and Ella's relationship has become much more casual since summer break, Ella would actually consider him a friend rather than a boss.

"Come on Millie, let's go to the toilet." Ella took the young girls hand. "You can't avoid him forever," Max laughed, Ella rolled her eyes at him and went to the bathroom with Millie. Max laughed as he made his way over to the Redbull garage where his father was already sat with Helmut Marko. "Morning," Max said with a half smile, his Dad shook his hand. Max already felt uncomfortable. What father shakes his kids hand? Why couldn't he give him a hug?

"Where's my granddaughter?" Jos asked, Max explained that Ella was taking her to the bathroom, and they should be here soon. "So what's the deal with this nanny? Why did you need her?"

"Because it means I get to see Millie much more often, and takes a lot of pressure away from Mum," Max explained, Jos said nothing but Max could tell he was judging. Jos had made it clear from the start that when Millie's mother left, Max should have put her up for adoption. He and Max had a massive argument over this, but had swept it under the rug. "Dad please be nice. Millie is really excited to see you, and Antonella is amazing, Millie really likes her."