FORTY-EIGHT

15th february 2024, netherlands

THE FAMILY WERE THRILLED TO PUT AMALIA IN THE PAST. The first few days following were hard, and full of a lot of anger, sadness and tears. But things were slightly better now, Max really wanted to close the door on that part of his life, and lock it. "So are you two going out tonight? Since you missed Valentines yesterday." Sophie asked at the restaurant table, Max and Ella shared a look.

Since Amalias visit, Millie had been a mess. At all times she had to be with either Max or Ella, she even slept in their bed. Leaving her alone tonight would be a big thing. "It's only five, I think we'll decide later tonight." Max declared, Ella nodded in agreement. Millie was silently eating her pasta. Max's family had quickly noticed something was wrong with Millie, all three of them.

Sophie had noticed before they even arrived, Max was always short on the phone. She had assumed that he and Ella were going through a rough patch, but that didn't seem to be the case. The pair were still absolutely smitten as ever. Max had explained to his mother what happened with Amalia the first night they stayed in the Netherlands while Ella and Millie were asleep in bed.

"I think it would be good for you two to have some alone time, after all it's your third night here and tomorrow is your last."

"We'll discuss it later, Mum." Max warned, Sophie pursed her lips and said nothing.

Back at the house, Ella and Max did decide to go out after they seen Millie playing happily with her cousins. The smile on their child's face had returned, and so they decided to go and blow off some steam. Ella wore a simple little red dress paired with knee high boots and the vintage redbull jacket that Max had gotten her for Christmas.

Max was wearing dark wash baggy jeans with the white blazers he had been gifted for his birthday, and a basic white top. The couple said goodbye to their family and made their way out to the town. "So where should we go?"