THIRTY-SEVEN

23rd december 2023, italy

"THAT'S IT, I'M DONE!" Adriano shouted upon entering the room, slamming the door behind him. Ella didn't even move her head to look at him. "Ella. You came home two weeks ago, and all you have done is stay in your room and cry while online shopping. And Christmas is your favourite time of year and you haven't even had one chocolate from your advent calendar?"

"What's your point Adriano?" Ella sighed, not even moving to look at him. "I told you I would hurt Max if he ever hurt you, but then you ended up hurting him! None of us understand what happened Ella, you two were perfect together. Even before you were together we could all see it." Adriano argued, Ella didn't want to hear his words. Tears silently strolled down her face.

"We were never together, Adriano. We were being stupid, it would have been too complicated." She insisted, finally turning to look at him. Adriano repeatedly shook his head.

"You and I both know that Max would move heaven and hell for you. He looked at you as if he just discovered what love was. You know he asked for our permission just to take you to the FIA gala?" Adriano revealed, Antonella didn't know that. "It wouldn't have worked. It would have ended up worse off if we broke up a few years later than if we just ended it now."

"What if it had worked? What if he's your forever? And you gave him up because what? You were scared?" Adrianos voice raised slightly, Antonella raised an eyebrow at him, reminding him of his place. "Adriano."

"Ella. I can't stand seeing you like this, we can't stand it. You don't eat, you don't sleep. What do I have to do to help? I'll fly Max here, if I have to. Or I'll pay for your ticket back to Monaco." Adriano begged and begged. Ella loved her brother, but he was being unrealistic and was just hurting her more.

"I can't go back to Monaco, it was always stated that I would spend Christmas here, I can't intrude on their Christmas." Ella said softly, turning back away from her brother. Adriano ran to the other side of Ella's bed, and sat down on it.

"Ella you wouldn't be intruding, you'd be going home. You still bought Millie presents! You even got Max stuff! Deep down you always knew you wanted to go back, you were just scared." He assured her, but Ella wasn't so convinced.

"I'm not leaving you alone on Christmas."

"Ella. Don't take this the wrong way, but we would rather you were in Monaco and happy than here and miserable." He resonated, Ella inhaled sharply.

"Oh my god," she finally looked back at Adriano, "What have I done?" She got out of bed, with a look of horror etched on her face. "Adriano. I have feelings for Max." She choked, Adriano nodded; he had always known. "Help me wrap the presents for Millie! Oh and I need to pack! Wait but a flight."

"Bonardi Boys!" Adriano shouted, the missing brothers appeared in the room immediately. "Okay Alfonzo, book Ella a flight to Monaco for tomorrow." Alfonzo nodded and disappeared to get his computer and wallet. "Alessandro! Put your good wrapping skills to use, and I'll help." Adriano ordered, "Angelo help Ella pack!"

"Ella, go shower." Adriano said delicately, Ella rolled her eyes and sarcastically thanked her brother for his kind words, and disappeared to shower. After a shower and a skincare session in the bathroom, she returned to her room to find everything ready. Her suitcase was packed, waiting for her makeup bag to finish the packing process. "Thank you guys." She could've cried.

"We actually all got presents for Max and Millie too," Alfonzo admitted sheepishly, "even Mum and Dad. So this little Santa sack has their presents, and yours as well."

"Guys I have too much stuff for the plane! I can't take this all." Ella panicked. She was only planning on taking a small suitcase with the little clothes she had here, she had left all of her stuff at Max's apartment in Monaco. All she had here in Italy was old clothes she had never taken to Monaco in the first place, and the clothes she had brought to Baku for the Prize Ceremony.

"Wait, don't book the ticket!" Adriano said quickly, Alfonzo was about to put his card details in. "I can just take the presents in my suitcase and fit as much clothes as I can in my carry on?" Antonella suggested, she didn't like the look of mischief on her brothers face.

"Road trip!" Adriano shouted, Ella shook her head immediately. "It's only a 7 and a half hour drive."

"I don't have a car anymore stupid! I sold it before I moved to Monaco!" She slapped the back of his head. "I was gonna offer to drive you but now you can forget it."

"I'll do it. Let's go." Alfonzo said immediately, closing his laptop. "If we leave now we can make it there before ten o'clock."

"I can't have you driving back alone!" She said, Alfonzo rolled his eyes at her. "I'm a grown man, I'm fine."

"Okay but you'll have to stay overnight at Max's! Or in the hotel with me if he kicks me out before we drive back home. You can't drive on no sleep," she sounded like a mother, Alfonzo agreed and hurried her into the car. She said a teary goodbye to her family and promised to see them soon, wishing them all a Merry Christmas with hugs and kisses. "Go get your man, girl!" Angelo hyped her up, Ella couldn't help but laugh as she got into Alfonzos car. "I'll pay for fuel," Ella bargained, Alfonzo shrugged and said he didn't mind.

After a very long car journey, they were outside Max's building. Ella was nervous, she didn't know what Max would say. What if he was mad? What if Millie was mad?

"We need to go to the shop first!" She said immediately, Alfonzo asked why but didn't wait for the answer to start driving. In the shop, Ella picked up a christmas cookie baking mix, and sprinkles and icing to decorate them with.

"Okay. It's time..." She breathed, looking out the window at the fancy apartment building. This was it.