Chapter Twenty-Seven

Blood and grime and dirt coated Kyra's skin as she waded through unknown territory—the heavens—to the new centre of action. Her gladiator sandals crushed the skulls of slaughtered mistresses as she walked, eyes dead set on the school in front of her.

She followed a set of white angel wings, keeping the man attached to them within her sights at all times. The owner of those wings was dangerous. I'm dangerous. Kyra wouldn't be letting that man out of her sight until she figured out where they stood.

The walls surrounding her were cold and bare, reminding her far too much of the place she'd come from. The Amazon Queen didn't give herself time to linger. Seeing those wings was too close to home. Kyra couldn't let herself linger.

Just around the corner, a fallen angel was breaking down, her demon King boyfriend at a loss for how to help her.

"Where is she?" Eros demanded. Eros, as in the same man she'd known a thousand years ago. The very same man who'd supposedly died six hundred years ago. The bastard couldn't do me the favour of staying dead, could he?

As much as Kyra disliked that man, she understood the need to remain civil for now. Now, unlike before, they had a common enemy. That bitch Nadine was going down.

"She left," Meg, the new leader of the angels, spat. "Portal jumped away."

Kyra gave the wings on that woman's back a wary glance. Courtesy of Claudio, Megan wore the most dangerous weapon an immortal could carry as part of her new anatomy. Her wings were tipped with hellfire talons. Damage by hellfire was permanent. Kyra herself had been permanently scarred by those fires. Worse, Kyra didn't trust the dark magic they'd been born from.

"Fuck." Eros stabbed a hand through his bloody, tussled hair. He hasn't noticed me yet. His concerns would soon change when he did. "It's just like her to save her own skin. We'll get her next time."

"But—"

"You've won Megan," Claudio reminded the angel. "One win at a time."

Kyra understood her despair. She'd watched this woman train relentlessly for a year now, building herself up to be a fighter. She'd lost her former puniness, becoming a woman with which one did not fuck. Truthfully, Kyra was proud of her. But they had bigger problems to deal with now than Megan's shattered ego.

"If I'd just killed her when I had the chance—"

Megan couldn't kill Nadine. Kyra had known it from word go. She was too young, too new to fighting, too emotionally involved.

Sound familiar?

The allies needed a clean cut. Someone who'd slice the bitch's tongue out before she could finish her speech.

"You won Megan," Claudio murmured. Kyra found it strange to watch him. To see this man she'd fought beside before—a man known for his brutal, warrior nature—crumple beneath the tears of an angel. "That's all that matters. Even the best fighters can't do it all at once. Her time will come."

Kyra supposed this was her moment to intervene. The King wouldn't get through to the girl. He coddled her too much.

"I—"

"You have a race of lost angels who need direction," Kyra said, interrupting them. Her arrival on the scene echoed with metal hitting the floor. She'd been collecting hellfire daggers from each of her kills. Don't think about it. Part of her wondered if one of these were the weapon from her mortality. "Deal with that first."

"You'll have my help," Eros added. He cast the Amazon at his side a cautious look. Just like I expected. She wasn't the same woman he'd known in the past. Kyra would slice his bollocks off before he ever got the chance to speak down to her. "I've missed out on enough of it. Ange and I will do whatever we can."