Chapter Twenty-Three

For the second time, Kyra's age range lined up, waiting to be given their armour in time for battle. Kyra knew a lot of these faces. She knew a lot of these girls didn't want to fight anymore. Not for this cause. Not without reason. It almost brought a smile to her face as she stood back and watched. Only the watchful gaze of the God she'd been avoiding like her life depended on it stopped her from doing that.

She waited for him to approach, now that he'd finally found her in a setting she couldn't escape from.

He halted her in her tracks as she awaited her armour.

"Not you."

He beckoned for others to stroll past as he kept her back.

"What?"

Hand in front of her, Ares pulled Kyra out of the line completely.

"You're not fighting."

"I'm just as capable as the others."

"I didn't say anything about your capability. I said that you're not fighting. That's final."

Understanding dawned.

He was segregating her, making an example of her to the others. A warning. Act out and you're kept back.

All the Amazons knew was fighting. They spent their entire lives training for this. And now Ares wouldn't let her take part.

"You can't do that."

"I'm the leader," He enunciated. "I can do anything I want. If I don't want you to fight, then you don't fight. It's that simple."

"But that's not fair."

"Actually, it's completely fair." Her fellow Amazons were straining their ears to listen to their talk. Ares, the bastard, made no effort to keep his volume down. No, of course he didn't. The God wanted them all to hear. "Last time you partook in battle, you switched sides and fought your fellow Amazons. You nearly cost us the entire battle and got yourself killed. Anyone else in your position would be held back from fighting. Thus, you're not fighting. I can't risk you pulling anything again."

She gaped at him, struggling to gather her thoughts. So stunned it took her a moment to figure out her argument.

"Right, heaven forbid someone stand up against the things you're doing."

"My allies wanted you punished," He stated. "Nadine wanted you dead. Eros wanted something similar. But I stuck my neck out for you."

"I didn't ask you to."

"But I did it anyway because you're you. You can't die."

How did he want this to play out in front of the others? Did he want them to think he was doing something nice? Something for Kyra? Surely everyone could see his selfish motivations.

"Why?" She snapped. "Because some stupid painting says I'll give you something you want someday?"

"Because I love you."

The be all and end all.

Did he think that bomb was going to change her mind?

She'd have to believe it first.

"No you don't." There wasn't a doubt in her mind about it. "You love the idea of me. You love the woman from the painting who looks at you like you're God's gift. That's not me. That's some broken down, distorted image of my future."

"I love you, Kyra."

Her fellow Amazons didn't know what to make of that. Nor did Kyra. Not really.