Chapter Thirty-Nine

As Richie welcomed them into her home, Kyra let some of the stress roll out of her shoulders. They were making progress, possibly clocking onto a new lead. There was no need to panic.

She jogged her memory, remembering what she could of this place from her terribly short stay. Though she couldn't remember much, she knew it hadn't been so mystical in the past. Jars and books and magical artifacts lined the walls. Books on things Kyra couldn't begin to understand.

"Have you been out here all this time?" She asked, gliding her finger over the top of a nearby table. Richie pottered around, teacups at the ready, as she beckoned them towards her living room. To Kyra's dismay, she prompted Kyra and Ares towards the love seat—a cosy little one/two-seater. Their knees were touching as they sat. Hell, Kyra was practically resting against his chest. As if it weren't already bad enough, he dropped his arm over the back of the sofa, letting his hand rest on her shoulder.

"Never leaving," Richie answered. She didn't sound so sad about it anymore. It marked a lifestyle she'd gotten used to.

"So you're still punishing yourself," Kyra surmised.

The woman tutted. "Nothing gets past you."

"I like what you've done with the place though. Very witchy."

The Rogue Witch hummed, all too aware of the God's wildly darting eyes. "You can relax, Ares. I'm no threat to your bride."

Her hackles rose. "I'm not his bride."

Smugly, Ares added, "Yet."

"Make yourself at home," Richie said, placing a cup of tea in front of each of them. "I don't get company often."

"You've spent an entire thousand years alone?" Ares inquired.

"Not completely. I get visitors every now and then. And Kyra over here did me a favour a hundred years ago or so. You can thank your friend for that too."

"No problem," Kyra replied. "Fallon loves a good vampire hunt."

"She loves a hunt in general, I hear."

Ares raised an eyebrow, eating up all the information he could get.

"She's important to you," He concluded, hearing that name again.

Kyra nodded softly. "Yes. She is."

"I'm just happy I got to meet the Queen before she ever became one," Richie said. "Back when she was still fighting to get her voice heard. And now the world falls silent to listen when you speak. The Amazon Queen."

The women seemed to be remembering a meeting he wasn't privy to. But he was aware. He could still feel that panic ricocheting through his veins. "This is where you ran off to."

Kyra avoided his gaze, murmuring, "I needed answers and since you weren't giving them..."

She'd gone out and gotten them for herself.

"You're not surprised to see us here," Kyra said, getting matters back on track as she focused in on the Rogue Witch.

She clutched her cup with both hands, returning, "I see things every now and then."

"I'll bet you see more than you're willing to let on," Kyra hinted. "That you could give Evette a run for her money someday."

Evette being the greatest oracle the Other World had ever seen.

"Oh I'm not that good," Richie answered, brushing it aside. "That's never going to happen. I get the scenes from the background. The things that are far too unimportant to be within Evette's vision."