Chapter Forty-Four

They walked and walked and, surprise- surprise, walked some more until the town of Runealm was well behind them. Except the road never ended. Signs were still dotted about the place to mark where they were going. This wasn't unchartered territory. Marina still owned this land. This was land she was aware of. Land she had a duty to.

The cobblestones were well maintained. No shrub crowded the roads. There were no signs that this road had been neglected or forgotten about. No nothing. Just a normal stretch of land that they walked down forever.

"What's your plan if we don't find anything here?" Ares asked, eager to keep a conversation going between the two of them.

"We keep looking. That's all we can do."

Her finality cut them off again. Except this time, she didn't stay quiet for long.  "When you said about Nadine meeting with you..."

Her eyes darted to the side. She almost seemed ashamed to be looking at him, like this was an urge she was failing to resist.

"I told you everything that happened. It was a couple minutes after you left. She wasn't there for long. She'd just come to threaten me."

"Did you kiss her back?"

She blurted the question out.

Stunned, Ares stopped walking.

It took Kyra a moment to stop, her feet freezing just a few paces in front of him.

"Why aren't you answering? Did you kiss her back? I mean, I know it's not any of my business but—"

"No. I didn't kiss her back."

She swallowed. "I see."

Is she jealous?

A smirk pulled at his lips.

She's sold on me whether she likes it or not.

"I told her I'm with you. You'd better stick with that. Don't make a liar out of me."

She groaned, rocking back on her heels. "You're so full on."

"I'm desperate. You can say it."

"I thought you were bitter."

"Tell me your concerns. We'll pick them off, one by one."

Her lips twisted with thought, contemplation. "You won't fit into my life."

That's bullshit.

"I'll make your life better for starters. We'll start with getting you an actual bed. None of that swinging shit."

"I don't mean like that." She bit back her smile. "I mean—I mean I move around a lot. I have responsibilities all over the Other World. Responsibilities to my allies, to my Amazons..."

She'd never be able to sacrifice a day lounging around in bed with him. There'd be no lazy days. No casual days. No nothing. Kyra had shit to get done.

"Wherever you go, I'll go there with you if you'll have me. Your allies are my allies now. I'll do whatever needs to be done."

Ares would adjust his life if it meant staying with her.

They turned, facing forwards again. The road curled around a curtain of trees. Just above them, they caught sight of a newly tiled roof.

"Do you think that's it?" Kyra asked, bounding closer.

Undoubtedly. They rounded the corner, getting a look at the mini mansion.

"She's not slumming it then."

"Surprised?" She asked.

"Not in the slightest."