Chapter Seven

Her eyes opened to a dull ache in her forehead. A lingering pain of something she didn't understand. Hell, Kyra couldn't so much as remember how she'd made it back to her room. She glanced around her dorm now expecting to find something out of place. But there was nothing. Everything was normal.

Weird dream?

She remembered being with Ares. She recalled the confusion that usually followed her interactions with him. Only now matters seemed clearer, like a blanket had been lifted from over her eyes.

Had she gone to see Ares yesterday at all?

She turned to her desk, finding the letter that had instructed her to go there. So yes. She wasn't wrong. She had been to see Ares.

Then how did I get back here?

A rose rested above her pillow beside where her head had just been laying. She lifted it, twirling it between her fingers.

Loud talking from the kitchen reached her room and seeped through the wood of her door. She dressed quickly, abandoning the rose to go meet with her sisters.

She stopped short at the dining room, struggling to believe her eyes.

There's no way.

The scene was normal, the same as it would be any other day—if not for the man sitting at the head of the table speaking idly to the other Amazons. For the first time ever, their God and creator had opted to join them for breakfast.

Their eyes met as she made her way deeper into the room. He smiled—though there was something behind his eyes. Something that said he'd come here for a conversation.

"Good morning Kyra."

She felt the weight of everyone's gaze on her as she took her usual seat along the benches. "Ares," She answered cordially, reaching for some toast. "What's happening?"

"I'm joining cabin 32A for breakfast."

She caught that bit, though it didn't make any sense. Nor did the confusion from last night.

She took her first bite from her toast and regulated her thoughts.

"Why?"

When she looked at him now, things were different to what they were before. Sure, she was still attracted to him—but that attraction didn't overwhelm reason. She was still able to think for herself.

What had happened last night that she couldn't remember?

"A few complications have arisen amongst this particular age group and so I'll be overseeing training with this group for the foreseeable future."

Some of the girls whispered at that. Kyra clocked onto the general feel of the room—excitement. Everyone was curious about their creator, eager to get to know the boss man.

"What about Erika?" Kyra asked calmly.

"Erika will be working with another group for a while," Ares said. And while he was addressing the entire table, he only looked at Kyra. "I'm sure many of you will have questions, so ask away."

No one said a word. Kyra breathed, forcing out, "How will this affect training?"

"It won't. You'll be doing the same activities, the only difference being that I'll be present instead of Erika. Leda will still be here. We'll be trying some real-life battle training as this group will be joining the older Amazons for your first battle soon."

Kyra knew what he was saying. What he was really saying.

Kyra and her behaviour were the complications he spoke of. He couldn't risk her beliefs rubbing off on the other women.