Chapter Forty-Two

Kyra wasn't lying when she said the door to the Amazon fortress was always open. In the dead of night, Ares stormed through her home, passing numerous Amazons along the way. They looked at him funnily, expecting a threat, before going back to their own things. He followed the pull in his chest that led him to Kyra.

He stopped, taking in the ridiculous sight before him.

My woman is a fucking nutcase.

No bedroom. How could he forget?

A dark room full of hammocks waited before him. Amazons filled the room. From here, he couldn't see enough of them to see which one was which.

Fucking crazy woman.

If she thought they'd be sleeping in a hammock together when her acceptance of him came around, she'd have another thing coming for her.

Letting the pull guide him to her bedside, he stood by her hammock peering down at her. Red hair spilled out from her thin covers. Her nose scrunched up in her sleep, one arm thrown above her head.

There'd be no fucking in these stupid things. Not to mention the room full of other Amazons.

Mad woman needs some sense knocked into her.

No, she needed a bed.

He shook her softly, prepared for what would come next. That arm above her head flung out, hand balled into a fist, rocketing right towards his face. Ares caught it, bracing for impact as he steadied her shaking hammock.

"Relax little Amazon." She slowed her thrashing when she recognised his voice. Instead, her eyes bulged, disbelief towards whatever game he was playing. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"What are you doing here?" She demanded, whispering so as not to wake her sisters up.

"I need you."

"You can fuck off if you think you can come in here and—"

He threw his hand down over her mouth. "Not for that. I have a lead."

He pulled it back slowly, giving her a moment to think that through.

"You have a what?"

"A lead. I know where the bitch is staying."

"I swear to God if you're joking right now—"

"I'm not joking." He held her shoulders, massaging them with his thumbs. "I have a lead. I know where she is."

"We can't talk in here. We'll wake them up."

And if the others woke up, they'd want to know why Kyra was hunting Nadine with Ares. Sure, they all knew there was something going on between the two of them—but they didn't know the who, what, when, where and why. She'd discussed as much as she could with Fallon but even that information came with its limits.

"Where's the nearest place we can be alone?"

"The gym." She didn't so much as hesitate. "We have one reserved for special occasions."

"You have a special occasions gym?"

"It's simpler."

Of course it is.

"Come on then. Hurry it up." She sat up, stretching one leg out from her hammock. There's no way—

"You sleep in armour?"

"Prepared for anything at any time."

How was that even comfortable?

Her breastplate was made from metal for fuck's sake.