Breakfast

You wake up from your dreamless sleep because you sense the change in the body next to yours. Your naked figures are tightly intertwined on the narrow bed, snuggled in the blanket. You know Vash woke up, and you lift your chin up to catch the kiss meant for our forehead onto your lips.

"Hey, Sweet Pea," he says, looking sleepy, but the affection is impossible to miss. "How did you sleep?"

"Better than ever." You smile, one of your hands traveling up to cup his cheek. "What about you?"

"Having you in my arms and doing so much better... how could I not sleep well?" The tip of his nose touches yours, and his eyes close again. "How is your head doing?"

"Still buzzing a bit, but no voices for a change. I think it's your doing. I don't think it has all passed yet in reality. A lot of the memories have pieced themselves together. It's still hazy, and not everything has come back. I'm missing a lot, but that's okay. Thank you."

"Why thank me?" Vash's voice sounds a bit surprised.

"Because you didn't give up and pushed me to hold on too, dummy! You brought me here; if it wasn't for you, I would have never regained all this; I would've never found peace."

"Don't be so dramatic," he says, kissing your forehead and pulling you closer.

You hug him back, your hand tightly on his back. You feel a heat radiating from him, and it comforts you to your bones, warms you, and makes you never want to let go.

"Maybe we should upgrade to a wider bed." Vash chuckles as you try to crawl into his skin.

"Nah, I think this is perfect." You laugh back. "This way you have no escape!"

"As if I would ever run from you." Another kiss is placed on your temple. "I wish it could stay like this forever."

"If only..." a sadness seeps into your voice. "But we are both destined to be drifters... At the very least until you have fulfilled the promise you made to yourself."

"I understand if you don't want to be dragged into this; I would rather not put you in the line of fire. You always have an out when it comes to this." His tone gets more serious.

"While I don't really agree with all your reasoning, I do understand, and your brother needs to be stopped for everyone's safety and future. I will stay by your side, I will support you, and I will lend you my strength wherever I can. You will never be alone in your fights again. And when all of this is over... then we get to decide how to spend eternity."

"Oh, love... I hope we do." His voice is so tender next to your ear.

***

You get to dress in your clean clothes, feeling more like yourself and less like a shadow of the human you used to be. You left the crew dress on your bed, unsure if you want to continue using it as a nightgown or not. Vash dragged you to the dining hall and made you choose breakfast, not accepting no as an answer.

"You said it hastens your healing ability, and even if it doesn't make a difference, you deserve to eat good food! All this tastes amazing; it counts for something, right?" He had been insistent, and you gave in, taking some pancakes and a cup of coffee.

Vash fills the silence with chitchat, telling you even more stories about his time on the ship and how hard everyone worked to get things under control in such a way that as few people as possible can run the whole operation. According to Vash, Luida and Brad are the only main members of the skeleton crew running the ship; occasionally, for more specific reasons, others are woken, but the everyday business is handled by only two people.