United Again

Vash had avoided letting you out of his sight; he even looked for excuses like going to the biodome and taking care of the toma to keep you from getting dragged into the rabbit hole of research and experiments with Luida.

"I don't mind." You laugh as he finally confesses why he has been glued to you all evening. "I like her, and it's all so interesting. She's like a window to a different life of mine, while I was nowhere near as good of a person as she is... It's still nice. I trust her completely, so she doesn't trigger any bad memories. It's strange, but then again, most things about me are so..."

You pet the neck of Vash's tomas, who is making cooing sounds by your ear.

"That's not what I meant... but now I feel guilty for dragging you away..." Vash looks at his feet, and he looks a bit pathetic, making you giggle.

"What did you mean then?" your smile clear in your voice.

"Just that I wanted you to myself," he mumbles, still looking at his feet. "I might have gotten a bit jealous... You had so much fun with her, and I only got in the way, so I wanted to have some time with you for myself..."

Your expression softens further, and it melts your heart. You feel a little bad because it's true that Vash was left out of your activities today. You step closer, leaving the tomas to nip at your shirt, and go up to him. You stand toe to toe and use your fingers to lift up his chin. He avoids your eyes at first but then locks his baby blues with your gaze.

"I'm sorry you felt left out." Your hand moves to stroke over his face. "While I was happy spending time with Luida, nothing in this world compares to you. My nature doesn't matter; my past doesn't matter; I would trade in all my yesterdays for a future with you."

"You always say the sweetest things." His thumb runs down your lips onto your chin. "I'm just so happy to see you better. You scared me so much for a while, I thought I was going to lose you."

"I'd always come back to you, silly!" You smile wide at him.

"I'm afraid." He sighs silently, and his eyes go down again.

"Of what?" Your fingers reach into his hair and pull his forehead against yours.

"Of the future," he presses his eyes shut tight. "We don't know what the future brings and... what I have to do... I want to keep you safe. I want to keep everyone safe. No, I need to keep everyone safe. But I don't know what it will cost. What if it costs everything? What if it costs the future with you..."

"You said you could never leave me. So don't think about that. Make a promise; swear it. Swear that you'll always find your way back to me."

Vash pauses for a moment, one of his hands still touching your chin, the other resting on your hip. He takes a deep breath, his eyes still closed.

"I swear to you, my Stardust, my lovely Iris, that I will always find a way to come back to you. I will be with you. For an eternity."

"Look at me," you say softly as you release his hair. When Vash opens his eyes, he is met with yours, and he lifts his forehead. You take both of his hands, intertwining your fingers, and then press them against your heart without losing eye contact. "I promise you that I will be safe; nothing bad that happens to me is your fault, and I will always, always come back to you. No matter what, I will be with you. For an eternity."

He looks at you tenderly as you declare your promise and then presses his lips onto yours, his grip on your hand tightening.

"See? There's nothing to be afraid of now," you say as he pulls away. "I don't make promises that I don't intend to keep, and you're Vash the Stampede; you always keep your promises. So we're in the clear. Whatever it may cost, it can't cost our future."