Chapter 6: Sword Tournament

A/N: Alright, this is the start of the sword tournament arc, it won't last very long, just this chapter, the next, and then one more. two more party members will join and then we will move on to the next arc.

This one is kinda fun, i put in a couple of foreshadowing Easter eggs as well so i hope you enjoy.

A week had passed since Shenhe joined your party, and though her personality was even more detached and cold than yours, her company quickly proved to be an asset.

In battle, her formidable skills complement your own, and together, you create a rock-solid front-line force. Her ferocious approach to combat added a layer of power, turning your party into an even more formidable entity.

Meanwhile, Yoimiya continued to provide crucial ranged support. Her ability to stun even the largest bosses had always been her greatest ability, and one that you found indispensable.

Currently, you found yourself inside the Floor 22 dungeon. The clash of metal against metal, accompanied by occasional bursts of fireworks, echoed through its halls.

Sparks flew around the dungeon corridor as Shenhe spun her spear around her body several times, executing each move with a fluidity that resembled a dance. Her spear parried and blocked every attack from the enemy in front of her and although every motion was calculated and intentional, her fighting style on the surface seemed tailored for only one purpose—to kill.

Her spear swiftly came to a halt after spinning around her hips, landing back in her hand before she thrust it forward. The spear pierced through a hollow suit of armor in front of her. Upon withdrawing the weapon, the armor crumbled to the ground, its structural integrity shattered by the force of the attack.

The armor beneath her digitized and shattered into multiple fragments, which quickly began to float up into the air above her. She let out an uncharacteristic sigh and then thrust her spear into the ground next to her.

After her prey had been dealt with, she slowly looked to the other side of the corridor where she saw you fighting a massive horde of hollowed out suits of armor. The air around you was teeming with digitized fragments of defeated monsters as you continued to slice through each and every one of them.

Although she was unsure why, she frequently caught herself staring at you for extended periods of time. It had reached a point where the prolonged stares were starting to make even her uncomfortable. Surprisingly, the only person that seemed bothered by her persistent glances was her.

Her eyes trailed your figure as you effortlessly mowed down everything in your path. Once again, she caught herself staring for too long, as if there was something she hoped to discern by observing you.

What made you so much stronger than her? Your levels were similar, as were your stats. So, what set you so high above her? The mystery eluded her, and she couldn't fathom why someone so formidable would be interested in getting help from someone like her.

However, her trance was abruptly broken when her ear twitched, catching the sound of clamoring metal piercing the air.

She narrowed her eyes, annoyed at the interruption, and reluctantly tore her gaze away from you. As she turned her head towards the annoying sound, her eyes suddenly met a crowd of heavy suits of armor, hollowed out and with no helms. Each wielded a different weapon as they charged toward her.

Clearly agitated by the interruption, she kicked the bottom half of her embedded spear, causing it to rip out of the ground and spin wildly next to her. Slowly reaching out, she seized the spear, halting its spin and creating a gust of wind around her from the force.