Long ago

WARNING STORY CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING MATURE THEMES
LANGUAGE
SLIGHT LEMON
ALCOHOL USE

ENJOY THE REWRITE! :-)

Long ago in a small village that stood below and breath taking castle lived a rich trades merchant and his beloved wife. In the castle lived the king and queen who were loved by their subjects. Yet unknown to most of the subjects the king was cruel and narcissistic. He demanded much of his queen who feared his punishments if she didn't do as she was told. As for the merchant he was kind and generous. He would give his wife many gifts of things she very much adored. Though the one thing she wanted most was to go on trips with her husband. Yet he would respectfully decline her request. One day the merchant's wife came to him with news of their first child making the merchant extremely happy.
As for the queen she was expecting as well but tragically lost the child and never told the king. Yet he found out and demanded they try again so he could have an heir. She obeyed despite her request of wanted to have time to grieve.
Two years later the queen soon became pregnant and gave birth to a son. The king was thrilled to have an heir.
Two months after the prince was born on a warm spring day the merchant and his wife were bless with a second son.
Years past and the youngest son starts to take interest in books and would read with his mother after the daily chores were done. How he developed the same dream as his mother and hopes one day he two would travel outside of the village. As for his eldest brother he became more interested in his father's duties but also his looks and appearance.
As for the prince he shared his mother's humble and kind nature and grew fear of his father. He hates seeing how his father would treat his mother and promised he would never be anything like him. Once he becomes king he will rule with his mother's guidance and not his father's.
One day in the summer the villages summer harvest festival begins. The prince asked his mother if he could attend but she said that his father would say no. The prince was saddened but refused to listen as any six year old would do. So the young prince snuck out of the castle with some help of a local village boy who works as a vegetable peeler while his parents were gardeners. The village boy soon left the young prince and waited by the gate for his return. The young g prince was excited and looked around the village and all the booths. He soon bumped into the merchants youngest son and knocking himself on the ground and was scared at first. The merchants son smiled and held out his hand. "Hi are you ok?" His little voice asked with kind purple eyes sparkling. "Umm yeah thanks" the young prince said and took his hand. "Would you like a cookie? I got a whole bag because I save my money. I was gonna just share with my parents and brother but I have enough for you too" he smiled holding out a semi round pale yellow cookie. The young prince smiled and takes the treat. "Thank you" he said and takes a bite. The merchant's youngest son giggles seeing the ears perk and ruby eyes widen. "This is really good! Better than the ones in the castle." The young prince said and he sees the spark of interest in the purple eyes. "You live in the castle? What's it like?" He asked and the young prince shrugged. "Not as good as it seems it miserable for all of us" he said. "My friend says that too" the merchants son pouts. "Wanna be friends? I'm knuckles by the way." He smiled. "Sure I like to be friends my name i—" "That little punk is somewhere!" A Guard said and the young prince felt his face drain of color. "I have to go thanks for the cookie and it's nice meeting you Knuckles." The young prince said before running away. "Wait I didn't get.... Your name" young knuckles said and walks home feeling sad. "I'll see him again someday" he thought and it made him feel better as he walked home.

He opens up the door and looks back at the village before closing it.