(22) Faultier

"Okay...Okay" Blair said slowly, pulling away from me suddenly. "Um, I need to do something really quick." She began walking away. 

"Blair, my sweet, what are you holding?" I asked, catching sight of the small bag she was clutching close to herself. 

Her eyes widened. "Just something of Danny's..." She slowly turned to walk away again.

"Then why do you have it?" Vollieri asked suddenly. 

Blair sighed. I wished to hold her close me and keep her safe from things that made her sigh that way. "Because I am a good friend who offered to take in Danny's bag." She replied hastily, glaring at Vollieri. 

The human entered the room and laughed loudly. "Nice cover, Blair, everyone's gonna believe that."

Blair simply rolled her eyes and walked out of the room, ignoring my questioning glance. Her human trailed behind her until she made him halt with a piercing look. 

"They seem in strange moods, Brother. That bag must have something dangerous in it." Zorn said suddenly, breaking the short silence. 

"Indeed, Faultier. It is in our clan's best interest that you learn what is in that bag immediately. Although we love human women we should know better than to trust them." Caelinus added. All of my brother's nodded in agreement. 

"I do not believe we have anything to worry over. My beloved has done nothing to not deserve out trust. "

The human started laughing in the corner of the room. I fixed him with a glare and he shied toward the wall. Sad human. 

"My brothers. How many a century hve we spent loving women? Adoring the simple flesh of the human woman-"

"And guys." The human pet noted noted, interrupting me. "Just saying, you guys don't know what you're missing." He finished. His eyes looked past me and directly towards Vollieri. I frowned, glancing at my brother.

He sent the human a look that could not be described. I had never seen Vollieri show such emotion. Although to most it wasn't much emotion. In truth, I could not actually be sure if it was emotion or irritation. It was probably irritation.

He then nodded at the human pet. The human pet smiled strangely, some strange pink color rising in his face.

I shook my head. "As I was saying, we love women in a way that goes farther than simple admiration that human men can feel. We adore women fully and truly. And so we should learn with that love and admiration to trust women as well. Let us learn first to trust the women whom your admirable and powerful leader has come to love. Show Blair that you trust her no less than you trust our brotherhood because this sweet, gentle woman's love is now the glue that shall hold us together!"

A scream suddenly shook the building. One shrill note that echoed around the rooms until it stopped so suddenly that the change in sound was almost painful. Before I could leap into action to save my beloved Blair, she began walking down the hall towards my brothers and I. 

Her expression was blank and cold. She appeared before my figure, her eyes staring into my own. They were so lovely. She was the earth to my ocean. My little sea horse. So beautiful and perfect. I was drawn to her more so than any woman I had ever had. Being with Blair made each and every other century seem useless and cold. They did not have her. My once-fond memories were scraps of seaweed floating throughout the ocean and the ones I had with Blair were the oyster pearls. 

A hand flew up to my face, cracking like a whip across my cheek. My head swung weakly in the opposite direction. This hit was like nothing I had ever felt before. An odd pain created from such a small being.