(7) Danny

I mentally groaned as I stood up with that stupid key chain clasped in my hand. It was hot pink with 'Lexie' written in flowing script. Why had my parents had given me that abomination of a middle name? I wish I knew the answer.

I shoved open the window and discovered fresh air, ah, how it had escaped me. I didn't even realize how stuffy my room had become; the smell of acrylics was so potent. 

I didn't even notice the smell of saltwater until I stuck my neck out the window--partially, I wasn't an idiot--and threw the key chain into the air for which ever unfortunate soul is was to land on. It literally smelled like fresh fish, and we were in the Upper East Side on the sixteenth floor of an apartment building.

I looked down and I could have sworn that my heart stopped beating at that moment. See, there I was, throwing away a gag gift my "best friend" had bought me just to get in a petty jab, and I look down and I see actual monsters hanging off the side of the building. Just due to the fact that one of them was a mere six feet away from my face gave me permission to scream like a little girl, which I did. 

The monster was nearest me was more than inhuman. It's skin was silver and composed of scales, real legitimate scales. Dark glossy hair curled around a face that only a mother could love, with abnormally big black eyes and thin, pointy teeth pulled into what some weird, twisted psycho might call a smile. 

"Ahhh!" I yelled, my eyes wide as I backed up. I hit the wall and slid down into a fetal position on the floor. The only thing running through my mind was a constant stream of "holyshitholyshitholyshit".

Blair walked over to the window and looked down with hesitation. Her expression of worry was replaced with a shocked look. She glanced over at me and uttered a barely audible, "Oh, shit."

No duh, Blair. No fucking duh. 

Aforementioned bitch crossed her arms added an unnecessary bitchy comment, like usual. "See, I told you so. The mermen are real." She pursed her lips and shot a 'suck it' look at me. 

I cringed a bit as the image of the monster resurfaced in my mind. These were the things Blair had to spend a night with. I almost felt sorry for her, but I didn't because she was acting bitchy. 

That was Blair's predominate fault. 

The other one was that she was immensely stupid sometimes, like, did the rational part of that girl's brain really shut off at the worst moments? I was starting to assume so when she stuck her head out the window and looked down at those monsters again.

She retracted from the window and I was thanking God that her face hadn't been mauled off, then I realized that her brain had been mauled off because she walked away without closing the window. The dreamy expression accompanied by a half-smile was still on her face as she sat down, her attention focused on the window. 

What was she doing? 

I started to unfold, but quickly went back into defensive mode when a metallic hand, shimmering like fish scales, appeared on the bottom of my window sill. I screamed again, almost peeing myself. 

The merman-monster thing tumbled through the window ungracefully. As soon as he regained his footing he rushed over to Blair. I was more concerned with the fact that his head was closer to my ceiling than any other human's would be. 

"Blair!" he wailed, raising his arms in the 'I'm coming in for a hug position'.

Blair didn't have much warning. One second she was facing doom, and the next second she was being embraced by it. Whatever spell she had been in before had dissipated. Now, an angry look crossed her face as she struggled against the merman's grasp. "Dammit, Faultier! Get the hell off of me!"