(17) Blair

I used to do normal human things like exclaim “Holy shit?” when something shocking happened, but now I wasn't as easily moved. For example, when this girl appeared in a flash out of nowhere and promptly fainted right there on the sidewalk, I blinked and said, “Oh.”

Faultier lifted his head and inhaled deeply. That behavior was also becoming normal. I didn't know if that was a bad thing or not. “It smells like magic.”

I scrunched my nose. “So magic smells like moldy basements. Cool, I'll file that away.”

“Magic appears differently to each person depending on where it was performed and who performed it.” Faultier shrugged. “To me it smells like freshly slain squid.”

“Disgusting,” I commented, walking toward the girl. Her lithe frame was clad in a purple coat and she wore cat-eyed red glasses. I frowned and poked her shoulder but she didn't even stir.

“Not really. If I'm not mistaken, humans regularly feast on squid. Unless that practice has been abolished. I know my past lovers used to love it when I brought a squid back.”

I turned my head and gave him the most disgusting look I could muster. “I like my squid fried and delicious. Not freshly slain and raw. Now, is she alive?”

Faultier's eyes flickered to the girl. “Yes,” he answered shortly. A grin broke out across his face. “It seems the only way she got here was a freshly made portal, I mean, there's not a single source of water for some distance, and faerie traps only go one way for humans. There is a good chance that Vollieri is coming through this one with you're small human servant.”

“If he comes back without Danny I'll kill him.”

“I know,” Faultier sighed. “I cannot assist you in killing my brother as you are not yet carrying my child, and I beg of you to look into investing into another human pet. Something less obnoxious. He is much easier to replace than Vollieri.”

“We've already been through this. There is no replacing Danny.” I shook the girl's shoulder. “I wonder why she came through though.”

“Probably a human captive that hitched a ride. More importantly, you did promise me a kiss, my love. Will you finally indulge me once your human returns?”

I groaned. The regret I felt after making that deal felt like a lead anvil on my chest. Thinking about kissing Faultier with his sharp teeth and cold, scaly lips made me shudder. "Yes...at home."

Faultier's face fell and he muttered something in some dead language that I didn't bother trying to recognize. 

"Ow! Dammit..." 

I jumped up and steadied a stumbling Danny. He squinted at me. "Blair? Oh, God, I can't see a thing."

"Danny!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around him and nearly knocking us both off balance. 

"Okay...wow. That actually worked. It's good to see you." He patted my back awkwardly. "But air is also really nice."

I let up a little on the hugging. "I thought you would be dead or lost forever as some kinky toy for the faeries to play with. Then I'd have to find some way to kill Vollieri."

"You're especially worked up," he commented when I finally released him.

"Faultier has been telling me these terrifying stories about faeries killing humans and torturing them brutally. It's been...especially stressful. Woah, I am super, super sleepy." I sighed and backpedaled to settle on the bench. "Oh, and she came through the portal."

"Oh, that's Calla. We saved her from being held captive by the faeries forever."

"I don't recall you 'saving' that girl as you claim," Vollieri muttered behind him.