Chapter 38: My Impurest Heart For You

Old World Order - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy

"Change..." Shuichi parroted slowly, "Hinata's heart?"

"Think about it for a second," Kaede asserted, pacing back and forth as she made her points, "Monomi told us that so long as someone possesses distortion within their cognition, it's entirely possible for a Palace to form in them. And what's more distorted than someone who's been PHYSICALLY MANIPULATED into becoming what he is now? He was a normal boy who got TRANSFORMED into becoming Kamukura, which means his heart must be all messed up and tampered with! All we have to do is fix it!"

"Are you sure?" Toko seemed skeptical, "Kamukura's kind of...grouchy, but he doesn't seem inherently evil or distorted."

"Actually, he doesn't seem to have much of a personality at all. That's kind of the point," Shuichi added, "so does he even have a distorted side if he doesn't have a normal side? Unfortunately, this situation is very different from our past targets, so we can't count on relying on the same rules as we always do."

"W-Well...Still...!" Kaede seemed pretty upset that her plan was already being poked at, but thankfully, Makoto came to her rescue.

"Actually..." he chimed in, "Kaede might not be too far off the mark on this one...!"

"Really?" Komaru turned her head his way, "why do you say that?"

"When we were down in the underground lab where we met Kamukura, Toko and I read over some scrapped research diaries that the researchers and scientists left behind in their hasty cleanup," Makoto explained, "there was one entry from about two or so years back that caught my interest."

Date: 2008/10/13

Entry No.#33: OBSERVATIONS.

After some progress, we noticed that the subject had started to develop some cliques, something that wasn't planned in our initial layout and could risk getting in the way of further experimentation.

It's highly likely to be the result of one of two things. Either the Shadows within his Metaverse Domain are acting up, or this is a byproduct of incorporating more of the emotion-based talents such as Ultimate Comedian, Ultimate Show Host, Ultimate Lawyer, etc.

Regardless, it must be quelled. We cannot run the risk of any undesirable personality traits getting in the way of developing the other talents to completion. This job gets increasingly difficult each day.

I will contact the leaders of the project and ask them to send an investigation force into the Metaverse to investigate.

"That file mentioned that the Steering Committee scientists have specialists who infiltrate the Metaverse to fix any...abnormalities," Makoto explained, "that implies that there has to be somewhere IN the Metaverse for them to go to so they can find these abnormalities to fix."

"So what you're saying is that he must have a Palace?" Kyoko asked. Makoto nodded.

"At the very least, there has to be a domain of some kind where the Steering Committee scientists can tamper. And as Kaede said, given how drastic a personality change it is, I think it constitutes possessing a Palace."

"Plus, if a Palace is still there, it implies that remnants of Hinata remain as well," Kaede beamed, "so if we steal the Treasure inside, it'll cause the Palace to collapse and all of the Committee's work up until now to be scrapped!"