Chapter 34: Unexpected Detours and Overslept Mornings

I struggled to find the right words, my voice shaky. "Lando, I've been treating you like shit, and you've been nothing but sweet and caring. I've been saying no to our hang outs, I've been so fucking rude to you, I even stopped talking to you. I've been pushing you away and I'm so sorry for that. But I've done all of this because... because I'm in love with you."

His eyes widened in surprise, and I continued, my words pouring out in a ramble. "I'm sorry, Lando. I'm so sorry for everything. It's just that Carlos... he left scars, and I'm scared of getting hurt again. But you don't deserve how I've been treating you. You deserve someone who appreciates the amazing person you are."

Lando's eyes widened, a mixture of surprise and concern etched on his face. "Isabella," he said softly, "you don't have to apologize. I care about you, scars and all. I'm here for you, and I don't expect you to have it all figured out. We can take things one step at a time."

His understanding response brought a flood of relief, but the vulnerability lingered. "Thank you, Lando. I appreciate it," I managed to say, my voice still shaky.

He gently placed a hand on mine, offering a reassuring smile. "Let's focus on getting you better first. We can talk about everything else later, whenever you're ready."

As we shared the homemade soup, a sense of warmth and connection replaced the earlier tension. Lando's comforting presence felt like a soothing balm, and for the first time in days, a semblance of peace settled over me.

Later in the evening, after the fever had subsided, I mustered the courage to break the lingering silence. "Lan, do you want to watch a movie or something? Just to take our minds off things for a bit."

A smile played on his lips as he agreed, and we settled on the couch, surrounded by the soft glow of the apartment. As the movie started, Lando wrapped his arms around me in a gentle embrace. The warmth of his touch provided a comforting anchor, and for a moment, the outside world ceased to exist.

But as the movie progressed, a nagging worry crept into my mind. "Lan, I don't want to make you sick too," I confessed, pulling away slightly.

He chuckled, brushing a strand of hair from my face. "Bella, I'm not going anywhere. I'd rather be here with you, even if it means sharing a cold."

As the movie continued to unfold, I found solace in the warmth of Lando's embrace. The worries that had haunted me started to dissipate, replaced by a sense of comfort that settled like a gentle whisper.

"Lando," I began hesitantly, "you make me feel safe. In the midst of all this chaos, you're like my safe place."

His gaze softened, a tender expression in his eyes. "Bella, I'm glad I can be that for you. You deserve to feel safe and cared for."

I nodded, the vulnerability of the moment binding us together. "But," I continued, my voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper, "you have to leave before Charles comes home. If he sees you here, he might get the wrong idea."

Lando feigned innocence, a playful glint in his eyes. "Oh, so you're saying your brother can't handle the idea of you having a charming and caring friend?"

I rolled my eyes, a smile playing on my lips. "You know what I mean, Lan. We don't want unnecessary complications."

He grinned, adopting a sassy tone. "Fine, fine. I'll make a stealthy exit before your big brother arrives, Agent Leclerc."

We shared a laugh, the lightness of the moment easing the weight of the past days. As the movie continued, the hours slipped away, and the cozy ambiance of the apartment created a haven for shared laughter and stolen glances.