Time to Tell

Logan's perspective

The last time I dreamed of the woman beside me was two weeks ago. She was reading in the middle of a field, so focused and dedicated. She had a spark in her eyes. Her smile and wit have always turned my world upside down.

A squeeze pulls my attention to the present. The doctor's office had to reschedule her appointment. It's been almost a month. She's smiling, and holding my palm. The sonographer takes the Doppler to Rory's prepared abdomen and searches for a moment. I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until she found the heartbeat.

"You're 13 weeks, 4 days. The baby's heartbeat is strong and healthy. It looks like they're sucking their thumb!" I chuckle.

"Can we tell anyone?"

"Your families. I would wait a bit to tell anyone else, just to be safe." Ace's beam drops.

"Ace, Honor is going to love being an aunt. I promise." She meets my eyes. "Rory, I promise."

All eyes meet the screen. Ace is happily laughing before she kisses my hand.

•••

Rory covers her face, breathing deeply. "It's going to be okay."

"Logan! Rory!" Honor is shouting over the storm yet smiling.

"Hey!"

"What brings you all here?!"

The three of us enter my childhood home. The only thing my girl can do is squeeze my fingers. I kiss her forehead. She wraps her coat snuggly around her body.

"What are you all doing here?"

"We have something to tell you. All of you," Ace chuckles.

"Rory?" Heels click on the floor. "Logan?" Blonde hair shifts against her back. "What a... surprise. I didn't expect to see either of you. Especially you, Rory."

"Hello."

"Mom."

"Logan," she reaches out, touching my cheek. I pull away. "Logan." She sighs. "I wish you would have called before just showing up.  You know it's bad taste!"

"And I wish you were more supportive of Rory, of what makes me happy rather than Mitchum's business deals!" Honor's jaw practically hits the floor. Afterward, she proudly grins.

"You know how we feel about her."

"Shira?" We're all quiet. My jaw has snapped shut. "Oh. Logan, Rory. Hello! Can I get either of you anything?"

"Hi." Ace shyly looks at her feet. She squeezes my shoulder, traveling to a tense body. "No, thank you."

"She isn't the type of person you wanted for me! I know! You have made that crystal clear. But I love her, she loves me, and she's pregnant!"