Cutting Ties

Rory's perspective

Logan and I let our heads the hit pillows as soon as we enclose ourselves in his apartment "Gilmore, or Gilmore-Huntzberger?"

"Are you sure?"

"We can hyphenate. Ace, it will open up so many opportunities for Lori."

"I'm just worried about Mitchum's reaction."

Logan takes my hand in his "Don't be worried. My father's just full of himself and he thinks he knows what's best for me. He's wrong about everything. He's incorrect about you. He's misguided about our family. We'll make it work. I promise you." I smile at his reassuring touch. As though it gets a cue to interrupt our moment, my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hey, you."

"Hi."

"Rory. I still love you. I love you with everything I have."

"I'm getting married. To a man I love with everything that makes me feel alive."

"Nothing will last with him. His family won't let that happen." I look at the man caressing my fingers. "He won't be a father. He won't love you for the rest of your life."

"That is not your decision. And it's nothing like the truth. Goodbye, Jess." I turn my phone off.

"Jess? Your ex, Jess? What did he want this time?"

"He... he is still in love with me, and he hypothesis that you won't be around."

He growls shortly and pulls a breath. "You know I'm not going anywhere, right?"

"I know that we both want to get married. I know that you love us. I know that you'll be around for our daughter. I know that you will be an incredible father." I smile. He grins. He tucks my hair around the back of my ear.

•••

Logan's phone rings the next dawn as he's driving me to work. "Hello?"

"Good morning Logan."

"Hey, Mom. What's up?"

"Logan, it's Honor. Hurry."