Freedom and Direction

I'm now building Honor's ramp at eight o'clock in the morning while Ace feeds our daughter on the porch. "Logan!" I look up to view a huge grin on Ace's face.

"Ace? What is it?" I pause to look at my daughter. Lo pushes the bottle out of her mouth with extraordinary intent.

"Daddy!" She says it slowly. So it sort of sounds like "dad-dee" I grin and go to pick up my little girl. I hug her and she kisses my cheek. It is a tender father-daughter moment.

"That's right, baby girl! I'm your Daddy!" Ace has a huge grin on her face. I kiss my wife on the forehead just below her hairline. "Did you hear that?!"

"I did."

"I told you that she would catch up on milestones."

"You did. I love the way you reassured me by the way." I smile.

"I'm so glad I gave you my number."

"Same. I don't know what I would do without you, or our little family." Rory looks at her ring and then back to us. "Do you want more kids?"

"We can adopt if we decide we want a bigger family, Ace. Happy birthday Ace." I smile. She stands and then kisses my lips slowly. After that, she takes our baby and swaddles her. Both of these girls are smiling at my face brightly. Lo is giggling. She has always been a joyful little one.

•••

By supper time I have completed the ramp, and taken a long, hot shower to ease my muscles before eating our final meal of the day. After dinner, I'm sitting on the sofa before my phone rings. It's my sister. She is sobbing when I take the call and before I can even say anything to her."Josh... h-he left me."