The Train

...

..

.

Lee jerks awake with a startled gasp, his eyes wide and his breathing heavy as he looks around.

It was daytime now, (Y/N) fast asleep curled into his side and Clement leaning back on the seat, his arms folded over his stomach and his eyes shut.

Lee catches his breath, exhaling loudly in relief.

"Lee?" Kenny calls, glancing in his mirror. "We got something up ahead."

Lee nods, carefully rising and gently laying (Y/N)'s head down on Clement's shoulder as Clement opens his eyes.

He glances down at (Y/N), remaining still as a statue for her as Lee walks to the front.

"Damn it. Road's blocked," Kenny sighs, the RV slowing to a stop. "Now we gotta deal with this."

Blocking the road ahead was a freighter steam train, Lee sighing heavily as he turns and exits the RV.

Ben follows, as well as Kenny as (Y/N) slowly begins to wake up.

"Is there any way to get around it?"

"Doesn't look like it," Kenny replies to Ben, adjusting his cap. "On foot, maybe. Can't really afford to do that, now."

"Seems like a safe area, at least," Lee chimes in. "All this brush will stop anything from creeping up on us."

Kenny turns to the RV, motioning for Katjaa and the kids to come out. "I want everyone out of the RV except her. I don't want folks trapped in there with her."

Clement stands still on the RV steps as (Y/N) carefully puts her doll into his backpack, Clement grinning proudly since she trusted him enough to carry it.

As she zips the backpack, her eyes flicker to Duck. Katjaa was supporting him against her side as they stepped out of the RV, Duck a sickly grey.

Ben watches the two with sad eyes, turning to Lee. "Why don't you and I go look around?"

"Yeah," Lee nods in agreement, turning to address the others. "Everyone else, relax! Clem, (Y/N), stay close to Kenny and Kat, okay?"

(Y/N) nods as she sits on the fallen tree log, Clement plopping down on the ground in front of her and leaning back with a tired sigh.

"Lee, if you come across anything to drink... If there's a dining car or something, I think Duck's a bit dehydrated." Katjaa softly pleads, Lee nodding.

Duck was resting against Katjaa, sweat dripping from his face as Katjaa gently rubs his back.

"It's a freighter, hon," Kenny quietly says, shaking his head and looking to Lee. "Be careful in there."

"What? You think there might be something dangerous inside an abandoned locomotive?" Lee jokingly questions as he turns, walking closer to the train. "Hadn't crossed my mind."

He approaches Ben, who looks back at him with a crestfallen expression. Lee doesn't say anything as he climbs the ladder onto the train, leaving Ben to his thoughts.

Lee walks along the side, setting his hand on the door to the conductor's room and pausing.

There was a corpse inside, Lee cursing under his breath. "Shit."

Ben climbs up the ladder and walks over, wondering what Lee was waiting for.

"We got one," Lee quietly says, "walker. Sitting in the chair."

Ben backs away as Lee takes out his pistol, slowly creeping up behind the corpse and pressing the gun to his head.

The corpse falls over from the motion, otherwise not moving.