Better

Walking felt like a challenge after what had transpired.

His touch lingered on my skin, and the memory of his lips against me was still vivid. I couldn't deny that I had enjoyed myself; it had been far too long since I had felt such pleasure.

But as tempting as it was to stay, I knew I had to leave. Sleepovers weren't part of the arrangement. Getting too close would only complicate things.

"Hellooo?" Melinda's voice snapped me out of my reverie as she held up a designer top in front of me. I smiled sheepishly, realizing I had been lost in thought in the shop once again. "You've zoned out three times today. What's going on?" she asked, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Avoiding her gaze, I nonchalantly shrugged. "Nothing."

"You need to work on your lying," she chuckled, setting the clothing aside. Melinda had suggested we go shopping; Brooke couldn't join us because of her classes at the community college. But I didn't mind Melinda's company; we were becoming good friends.

Taking a seat beside me, Melinda fixed her dark eyes on me. "What's up?" I asked innocently, scanning the shop for something to focus on.

A hearty laugh escaped her before she said, "There's something different about you."

"How so?"

She studied my face, her eyes searching. "You've been quieter than usual today, lost in thought. And you've been in a surprisingly good mood lately."

"My behaviour hasn't changed."

"You were humming at work the other day with this silly grin—OH!" she exclaimed, causing me to wince at her volume. "You got laid!"

"No! And lower your voice," I hissed, slapping her knee. Melinda threw her head back, unfazed by my embarrassment. But she was relentless when she wanted to know something.

"Fine, you're not ready to talk. But whenever you are, I'll be here to discuss the juicy details," she said, throwing her arm around me as we left the store.

"Even if I did, which I didn't, why assume it was with that guy?" I retorted.

She shrugged. "You hardly go out unless it's with Brooke or me, and most of your time is spent at work."

I couldn't argue with her logic.

"So, how are things with you and your guy?" I asked to change the subject and watched a grin form on her lips.

"Good, he recently came back from a trip, he got this amazing perfume made just for me. And since he's been back we've been playing catch up?" she winked causing my face to morph into disgust. "Hey! If you're not going to tell me about your sex life, you're listening to mine," she squeezed me playfully eliciting a chuckle at me as we moved around perusing the different stores.

***

Flopping down onto the worn-out couch, I couldn't help but smile at how my day had unfolded. It was a welcome change from the weeks of uncertainty and anxiety, especially with everything going on with my mother.

My relationship with my mom had always been complicated. Growing up, I was closer to my dad, Frank. But his passing brought my mom and me closer together. It was bittersweet, knowing that it took a tragedy for us to connect.

Today, at the mall, I was able to take a break from worrying about her. Cameron's help was a godsend. With the money he gave me, I could ensure she received the best care, especially after the procedure.

When I saw the amount he transferred, I was stunned. It was more than enough to cover what we needed. And despite my initial reservations about our arrangement, his generosity made me reconsider. Sure, he may have stirred something inside me, but I couldn't deny the practical benefits.

Call it selfish, but I was inclined to keep this deal going for as long as it served both our interests.

"How was your day?" my mother's soft voice asked.

My eyes popped open to look at her, and for a moment I took note of how normal she seemed. Her smile was bright, and it made my smile widen seeing her in a good mood.

"It was okay, it's better now that I get to see you."

"I'm glad you're here, I did want to thank you for paying for the bills. I know you probably had to use the savings you had to go to school."

"Mom," I groaned sitting up to gently grasp her hand, "you don't have to thank me for doing something I'm meant to do."

"We never did get along, and for you to want to help..."

"You're my family, I may not have understood it growing up why you were so strict with me but you were doing the best you could, besides if I only grew up with dad's parenting style I would have gotten carried away with that freedom cause he was too lenient," I stated earning a chuckle from her.

Her smile wavered a bit and I watched her intently as she spoke, "The surgery is happening a few weeks from now I'm nervous," she admitted taking a small sip of the tea.

"It's perfectly normal but I'm going to be there, if there's a need to go for chemo afterwards, I'm going to be there, alright?" I firmly stated searching for her eyes and tightened my hold on her hand.

She nodded her head, releasing a shaky breath. I may not have been earning the money in the best way, but one thing was certain, I was going to use it right.