Private Dance

Retrieving the bills tucked into my G-string, I settled into the chair, craving a brief respite. Weekends, renowned for raking in the highest earnings, also brought the most chaos. Massaging the tension from my neck, I reached for my phone, only to notice it flickering with notifications. The name illuminated on the screen sent my heart racing. Answering, a smile crept onto my lips at the sound of his voice.

"Well to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Was curious what you're doing tonight, thought we could grab a late dinner and hang out," he proposed, I had a feeling he was probably walking aimlessly around, he tends to pace when he's nervous.

Pursing my lips, I closed my eyes for a moment at the immediate discomfort I felt, "You don't have to do that."

"What?"

"Take me out to dinner, the agreement is simple, the only time we hang out, is to fuck – that's it and I'm at work right now so we may need to raincheck," I said trying to keep my tone from coming out rough. It would have been nice to have dinner with him, but I had to stick to reality, I had tendencies in the past to be quite delusional.

"There's nothing wrong with sharing a meal."

"But it would make things complicated," I defended, listening on the other end at the sigh he released. I was preparing myself to give an excuse I had to go before he spoke again.

"What work are you doing right now, then?"

My face scrunched in confusion at the question, "What other work would I be doing?"

"Why are you still working there?" judging by the tone of his voice I had a feeling his face was set in a frown.

Rolling my eyes I replied, "Cause it's my job."

"Anita... I thought since we decided to do this, there'd be no need for you to work in that place."

"It would be silly for me to rely on you completely, you could decide to change your mind out of the blue," I explained only to hear a deep laugh on the other end.

"I won't."

"And I'm just supposed to trust a complete strangers words, okay," I replied sarcastically.

I wasn't about to fall into naivety; handing over total reliance to someone was a slippery slope to being manipulated. Witnessing the mistreatment of some girls in the club and even former friends who surrendered their lives to their partners served as stark reminders.

Met with silence on the call, I rose from my seat as Brooklyn motioned for me to leave. "I've got to head out, got a show to do," I interjected, ending the call before he could respond. Pocketing my device, I disregarded the persistent flashing of his name on the screen.

***

Swaying my hips with calculated finesse, I casually rested my hand on a passing client's chest, locking eyes with a confident smirk. Even in the subdued lighting, their grin was unmistakable.