There For You

"Did he just... the hell?" I murmured staring in disbelief at the phone before I placed it down to hop towards the bathroom to tend to the injury.

As I clumsily moved around, blood trickled down my foot, staining the floor. With a stumble, I managed to grasp the door handle, then settled on the edge of the bathtub, wincing at the shattered glass I had inadvertently knocked over. My mind was consumed with dread, knowing the procedure awaited me the next day.

I tried to push away thoughts of the worst possible outcome, but a persistent voice in my head urged me to confront it. The thought of losing another parent loomed.

The sight of the broken glass and blood on the floor intensified my distress, as if it were a daunting sign of things to come. It was only when tears landed on my trembling hands that I realized I had been crying—not from the pain in my foot, but from the overwhelming fear of facing death and loss once again.

Paralyzed by fear, I sat motionless, as if any movement would shatter the fragile spell holding this moment together. I couldn't tell how long I remained in that spot, lost in my racing thoughts, until a knock on the door jolted me back to reality.

A reality of pain currently etched in my system, "Crap!" I hissed. I reached out to grab a cloth to wipe the dried up blood on the sole of my foot.

Releasing a frustrated groan at the sound of the knocks I yelled out a quick, "Coming!" and hobbled to the door which wasn't too far from the bathroom fortunately.

Swinging it open wearing a scowl, my eyes widened at the sight of green orbs that took me in before he carefully pushed me aside to enter my space. His movements had me nearly falling over due to relying on one leg but he was quick to wrap an arm around my waist engulfing me in his warmth and smell.

"W-What are you doing here?" I breathed watching him tap the door shut with his leg.

"Came to check up on you, you sounded hurt," he murmured creating a bit of distance to inspect my form.

"I'm fine, was a bit clumsy and stepped on gla - w-what are you doing?" I tensed feeling his fingers grab my chin. He didn't say anything for a few seconds but judging from the way his lips were set in a firm line, he didn't seem convinced.

"You're crying."

Reaching up to feel the fresh wet trail of tears on my cheek, I felt like a deer caught in headlights at having experienced a vulnerable moment not long ago, "It's just from the pain," I lied. He nodded his head and proceeded to scoop me up in his arms making me shriek.

"CAMERON!"

"Shhhh, you'll damage my eardrums."

Rolling my eyes, my teeth clenched at the small smile that graced his lips and crossed my arms as he moved us to the bathroom.