Peace of Mind

Gazing at her as she slept peacefully, I reached out, letting my fingertips brush against her cheek, almost as if confirming she was really there, alive.

The procedure had gone smoothly, and I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Yet, beneath that relief lingered an unease, a nagging fear that the cancer might return, stronger and more aggressive.

"For the last time, I already apologized for what I said back at the apartment. It was a mistake," Brooke whined, making me roll my eyes before fixing my gaze on her.

"I'm not mad," I replied moving away from the bed to take a seat.

"Feels like it."

"I'm not in the mood to talk about that but since you seem so determined, fine, I was annoyed, just don't let it happen again, please," I stressed the last part. The last thing I wanted was for Cameron to know those kinds of details.

"I won't, did he ask you about it?"

I shook my head, and I was glad he didn't delve into the subject.

"But you lied."

Tilting my head at her, she smiled widely leaning forward, "You said he wasn't that cute."

"I'm not having this discussion with you."

"Forgive me for just getting some things off my chest," she defended still wearing a wide grin.

I'd been caught off guard waking up to find Brooke lightly shaking me awake. And I felt like I had been caught doing something I wasn't supposed to, which technically I was, I unintentionally had a sleepover that involved cuddling.

"You guys were awfully cozy."

"Nothing happened."

She began picking at her nails, and looked away chuckling lightly, "With what those sweatpants revealed," she whistled lowly, "you're a better woman than me."

"Keep your eyes to yourself, Brooklyn," I snapped only to be met with her eyes looking up at me. Seeing the way her brow lifted and her lips quirked had me cursing under my breath.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Oh?" she mused leaning forward, "you didn't mean to sound like a jealous girlfriend."

"Don't use such foul language around me, what I meant was..." I paused pondering on the appropriate thing to say. But when my mind produced nothing, my mouth snapped shut and I disconnected our eyes to observe my mother.

"What, you're just going to leave me hanging?" she teased.

"For opening that big mouth of yours earlier, yeah."

"Geez, woman," she groaned, "I didn't mean to. And don't worry I won't look at your man."

"He's not my man," I grumbled.

But good.

***

A few days later, I felt a bit reluctant to leave the hospital, but once my mother was settled back home, I became fully attentive.

I was always there for her, ready to assist with anything she needed. I would have even chewed her food for her if it were possible. After all, I had temporarily moved back home to keep a close eye on her.

Releasing a tired yawn, I stretched against the sofa, letting out a satisfied moan after spending most of the day on my feet running errands.

"After the little party you and Brooke threw, have you been getting enough rest?" My mother posed the question, but the deep furrow of her brow told me she already knew the answer.

I waved my hand dismissively in her direction and sat up, "I'm fine, mom."

"Don't lie, you're at work and then you're back taking care of me. when do you get a chance to breathe?"

"I'm fine, yeah I'm tired here and there but its nothing that I can't handle and what are you doing out of bed?" I scrunched my face in disapproval.

"There's only room for one mother in this relationship," she gestured between the both of us.

Opening my mouth to reply, the sound of a notification on my phone caught my attention for a moment. "Things have changed I'm the grown up here," I mumbled only to get a scoff from her.

Know you're not into breaking bread with me, but come by the office. Feel like I owe you for being a good listener the other night - Cameron

"I've never seen you sniling that hard at a phone, is that your little boyfriend?"

My head snapped so fast in her direction it was a shock my neck didn't break to see her arms crossed and a small smirk appear on her lips, "Huh?"

"Before you try lie don't, I overheard your little conversation with Brooke back at the hospital."

"You were spying!"

"I didn't mean to, but you hardly ever tell me what else is going on in your life and I did think it was all some dream from the drugs they gave me," she replied sheepishly. When she attempted to take a seat, I stood up to help her only to have my hands smacked as she sat, "you need to go out with him, you're becoming overbearing."

"If me being a good daughter by taking care of you is me being overbearing then so be it," I defended crossing my arms across my chest only to glare down at her.

"Are you going to take my advice or not?" she shrugged nonchalantly.

"He's not a boyfriend and you shouldn't eavesdrop on people's conversations."

"I promise not to if you stop breathing down my neck."

"I do not," I bit back feeling offended at the accusation.

"I can feel you staring at me when I sleep to see if I'm breathing."

"Only cause I care."

She snickered reaching out to clasp my hand. "I know and I appreciate it but you need to take care of yourself as well."

"I don't want to leave you here alone."

I have you, the neighbours and the help you hired - if I need anything I'll call."

Staring down at her, I searched her face to see she meant every word, "For a woman so strict with me back then it's weird seeing you tell me to get out of the house."

She chuckled lightly tightening her hold on me, "What can I say, I've finally come to terms with the fact you're no longer a baby."

Smiling gently, I leaned down to gently peck her forehead and proceeded to walk out of the room, to consider her words.

I had been tired lately but I hadn't thought too much of it and as I pulled out my phone to see the message my mind swirled with whether to take up the offer or not.